Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust mods for Motorsport, possibly Director & Magnum

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Okay, today I had my Motorsport booked in with my tuner to install a VCM OTR, Rhino 4 into 1 headers, high flow cats and a dyno tune etc. No issues with the VCM of course, however the headers will not fit due to the external engine cooler fitted to these cars. It fouls the headers.

So those of you with HSV headers, tri-y's, short and mid length 4 into 1's will be out of luck!
So far, the only headers that will fit are the Diffipo 4 into 1's and the Hurricane 4 into 1's, my preference.

So these are on order. And it all makes sense now. All HSV's fitted with the LSA's contain the same external engine cooler, and Holden fits them with the standard log type cast exhaust manifold. Just like our Motorsports.
The LS3's in the HSV are fitted with tri-y headers but do not have external engine coolers.

So any engine fitted with an external cooler got the stock manifold as the tri-y's dont fit!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Okay, today I had my Motorsport booked in with my tuner to install a VCM OTR, Rhino 4 into 1 headers, high flow cats and a dyno tune etc. No issues with the VCM of course, however the headers will not fit due to the external engine cooler fitted to these cars. It fouls the headers.

So those of you with HSV headers, tri-y's, short and mid length 4 into 1's will be out of luck!
So far, the only headers that will fit are the Diffipo 4 into 1's and the Hurricane 4 into 1's, my preference.

So these are on order. And it all makes sense now. All HSV's fitted with the LSA's contain the same external engine cooler, and Holden fits them with the standard log type cast exhaust manifold. Just like our Motorsports.
The LS3's in the HSV are fitted with tri-y headers but do not have external engine coolers.

So any engine fitted with an external cooler got the stock manifold as the tri-y's dont fit!
Bugger! Oh well, Hurricane it is then:cool:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Anyone with the oil heat exchanger should definitely google “L99 oil cooler delete” and “LS3 oil cooler delete” for a better understanding about this part, which should definitely go in a box somewhere, anywhere, not on the engine.
Ask yourself, proven cheap factory power vs little pokey solution to a problem that never existed. No brainer, links give several options with good research data.
If it was my car I’d use most of the GM bits just swap the actual HX at the oil cooler bypass (like I did) with a proper race cooler per likes of PWR or Lingenfelter. That’s cooler oil per the Motorsport marketing brochure but not get stuck with a couple of ridiculous headers because of the poorly designed and located HX.
Choice is whether you pay more for aftermarket headers coz the stubby thing poking out the oil filter bypass port (both badly engineered) or pay for slimline adaptor to proper HX and run with HSV headers.
View media item 383View media item 384View media item 385Realistically in terms of extending the lubrication system effectiveness for extreme endurance, and on start up, by far more important consideration is an oil accumulator that pre-lubes the engine at 30psi on ignition. Plumb a T piece with check valve on the supply side when you swap out the clunky leaky HX. Is what professional racers and burnout record holders use to protect expensive builds.
View media item 116

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385

My upgrade featured defilipo parts

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Anyone with the oil heat exchanger should definitely google “L99 oil cooler delete” and “LS3 oil cooler delete” for a better understanding about this part, which should definitely go in a box somewhere, anywhere, not on the engine.
Ask yourself, proven cheap factory power vs little pokey solution to a problem that never existed. No brainer, links give several options with good research data.
If it was my car I’d use most of the GM bits just swap the actual HX at the oil cooler bypass (like I did) with a proper race cooler per likes of PWR or Lingenfelter. That’s cooler oil per the Motorsport marketing brochure but not get stuck with a couple of ridiculous headers because of the poorly designed and located HX.
Choice is whether you pay more for aftermarket headers coz the stubby thing poking out the oil filter bypass port (both badly engineered) or pay for slimline adaptor to proper HX and run with HSV headers.
View media item 383View media item 384View media item 385Realistically in terms of extending the lubrication system effectiveness for extreme endurance, and on start up, by far more important consideration is an oil accumulator that pre-lubes the engine at 30psi on ignition. Plumb a T piece with check valve on the supply side when you swap out the clunky leaky HX. Is what professional racers and burnout record holders use to protect expensive builds.
View media item 116
Does your oil cooler setup have a thermostat?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This looks like it would cool nothing LOL
Junk...

Ron Burgundy