Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust mods for Motorsport, possibly Director & Magnum

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good kit that leaves factory cooler in place
Ok, but the main problem is not actually cooling the oil. It’s the bulky, hardly functional HX which precludes installation of perfectly good cheap headers.
The adaptor above comes with proper bungs and plugs to leave out the coolant heating componentry.
In other words up to you whether you actually need an oil cooling circuit but being lumped with choice of stock cast log and just a couple of aftermarket headers (which require custom tune, which voids the warranty), effectively knackers the smart upgrade options discussed for the Motorsport.
Swap out bulky HX manifold for one above, use the proper HX of your choice as above but as I said, put the factory HX in a box away from the car and fit proper header pipes.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ok, but the main problem is not actually cooling the oil. It’s the bulky, hardly functional HX which precludes installation of perfectly good cheap headers.
The adaptor above comes with proper bungs and plugs to leave out the coolant heating componentry.
In other words up to you whether you actually need an oil cooling circuit but being lumped with choice of stock cast log and just a couple of aftermarket headers (which require custom tune, which voids the warranty), effectively knackers the smart upgrade options discussed for the Motorsport.
Swap out bulky HX manifold for one above, use the proper HX of your choice as above but as I said, put the factory HX in a box away from the car and fit proper header pipes.
Good discussion.
All this probably plays straight into Walkinshaw's hands...
Could the fitment of the delete kit and remote oil cooler also cause warranty issues? I suspect it probably would cause as much of an issue as the fitment of after market headers.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Good discussion.
Could the fitment of the delete kit and remote oil cooler also cause warranty issues? I suspect it probably would cause as much of an issue as the fitment of after market headers.
Nah the LS worked fine without the pokey HX, fitment of alternate HX being not acceptable would be red rag to ACCC, especially given terrible dependability issues of the pokey HX.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Good discussion.
Possibly... I'm not interested in deleting the unit.
There are plenty of headers to suit the LSA, so availability wont be a problem.

I don't think an oil cooler is needed on a street driven LS3. I would love to be able to log the Magnum's oil temp, but I do have 67k kms of experience of oil temp data from my Maloo.
It would usually take 10-15 mins of driving to get up to a 'normal' temp of 105-108c.
Stuck in heavy traffic, crawling along, 115c.
Blasting around a skid pan, 115c.

I think the heat exchanger will get the oil up to optimum temp quicker, and maintain it at that temp no matter what you're doing with the car.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
^ LSA headers are a nice material but are not extractors.
I wonder if any after market tri'y's will fit. I doubt it. Means long tube, which I'm not a fan of.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
^ LSA headers are a nice material but are not extractors.
Yeah, cast stainless, but I meant 'any' LSA header/extractor.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I wonder if any after market tri'y's will fit. I doubt it. Means long tube, which I'm not a fan of.
Yes absolutely aftermarket tri-ys fit, even full size (long tube). But of course means engine tune.
As above that’s the conundrum faced when keeping the pokey HX, OP reported HSV (no tune needed) doesn’t clear.
I will look to confirm that also.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Correct, HSV headers do not fit without the removal of the factory engine cooler.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Why don't you like long tube headers Cuda? They are certainly good for bottom end torque.