Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust mounting woes

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all. I have bit of an issue with an exhaust I picked up a while back which I finally fitted. It was previously fitted to a VN, but for the life of me I cant figure out how the tip bolts up! The stock exhaust as most of you would know has a metal hook welded to the tip that threads through the two rubbers. BUT, this exhaust likes to sit right up against the car and welding a 'hook' on is not an option.

As you will see in the pic below there is a bracket welded to the side, which had a bolt through it. But theres nowhere on the car for it to bolt up to! Maybe there needs to be a bracket of some sort welded to the car? Does anyone have this style exhaust fitted to their car?

Maybe I could use a rubber that goes from one mounting hook to the other, which the exhaust would rest on? Anyone know where I could find one? It would need to be a firm fit. There is a rubber pad mounted to the car above the exhaust so it wouldnt bang around.

Btw, the cable ties are temporary as the car isnt being driven yet. :p

IMG_1409Small.jpg

IMG_1410Small.jpg

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
IDEA! Make up a simple bracket in place of the cable ties, that hooks over the rubbers on either side, held in place by a few welds.

Why that diddnt come to mind earlier I dont know... lol. Gives me something to do at tafe seeing I dont own a welder. :)

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
i doubt the tip bolted directly to the car. the exhaust systems are designed with those rubbers so it didn't need to be directly fixed. if u mount it tight to the car body it will be sooooo loud and annoyying... i'm guessing that the bracket welded on the pipe was maybe just for the rubber to slip around and hang off.. pretty hard to tell by that angle but.... what ya should do it grind the bracket off and make some new bracket hangers on either side of the exhaust, put them low down make the rubbers push the pipe up into the rubber stop. thats if u had access to welders etc.

good luck dude

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Lol, Morton is gonna love this thread, (cable Ties), Mte all you need to do it angle grind that off, and put something simular on its side and curved over and she is done, does it have the rubber mount ontop of the exhaust to the body of the car? its just a wedge type so it holds it firm and doesnt rattle.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
i doubt the tip bolted directly to the car. the exhaust systems are designed with those rubbers so it didn't need to be directly fixed. if u mount it tight to the car body it will be sooooo loud and annoyying... i'm guessing that the bracket welded on the pipe was maybe just for the rubber to slip around and hang off.. pretty hard to tell by that angle but.... what ya should do it grind the bracket off and make some new bracket hangers on either side of the exhaust, put them low down make the rubbers push the pipe up into the rubber stop. thats if u had access to welders etc.

good luck dude

they might have had the rubber to slip around it, but the bracket should be on its side and that one is to wide it will cut into the rubber and you will be going through rubbers alot. but yeah, even if you wannt pay 10-15bucks just take it to an exhaust shop and they will fix it within 15-20mins if that.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cheers for the replies guys. Will grind that bracket off because its obviously useless and weld a more suitable one on. I HAVE tried slipping one rubber over the bracket but its a stretch fit and would eat it on the first bump. Exhaust shop would have been the go if the car was registered (should be soon). Im sure they would need the car there for measurements and test fitting. But it shouldnt be too hard for me to do. Time to get creative. :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The standard type hanger on the exhaust obviously hung too low for the previous owner so he had a different bracket made. It looks as though a rubber strap was bolted to that and then bolted to the body above it to get it up as high as possible. He may have even removed the original bracket from the car to make more room.

You can see by the clearance around the tips from the rear that it sits about where it should sit. The hanger set up on the rear isn't really suited to a dead straight exhaust.

georgeonboost

clutch it!
Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed VP EXEC
pretty easy fix mate...as Trikkben said weld some new bracket hangers on. thats what my mate did for me at his exhaust shop when i got the hotdog and custom made tips fitted.

heres a pic

has a hanger on either side and doesnt move at all! best thing ever.

P1010940.jpg