Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust / Muffler delete installed on 2009 AFM VESS Wagon

joh040

Reaction score
Members Ride
nil
Installed these on our 2009 VE SS Wagon earlier in the week....

Reasonably loud inside the car given it's a wagon & I hadn't had a chance to listen to a drive by / take off until the mrs jumped behind the wheel last night...

I'm amazed at the deep twin rumble note these produce... i'ts not obnoxious by any means, i suspect due to many options out there some alternative pipes / muffler deletes would sound like ass. For example straight pipe, no j pipe & sizing.

Minimal drone at 60 kms / 100 kms with cruise on, manual shifting there is a really nice note on downshift. You can hear the AFM kick in after a 2 minute cold start at idle & AFM is present when low in rev range. By no means is AFM painful, the beauty of this is you can really control the note around town with your driving style.

Car is an AFM Auto, i can't believe how many people take the piss and suggest $3k plus exhaust systems or budget 2.5" catback systems for those who are just after a nice note. From what iv'e read those that have installed a $700 plus installation 2.5" X force budget systems still aren't happy with the note..

Granted i understand the perfomance benefits of a full system & tune, but this thing is a daily and we just wanted a nice V8 note.

I don't know what the straight pipes (no hotdog) & non j pipe deletes sound like but for $400 & an easy install, i can't recommend these enough!

They are the 3" hotdog / j pipes from VEOnline eBay store:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 176

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
J pipes with hotdogs are the best option for replacing the mufflers with something louder for people that don't want to fit a full system or cat back.

I wouldn't fit them on a car I own, they still drone and personally I don't like the note.

joh040

Reaction score
Members Ride
nil
J pipes with hotdogs are the best option for replacing the mufflers with something louder for people that don't want to fit a full system or cat back.

I wouldn't fit them on a car I own, they still drone and personally I don't like the note.
I agree mate, just don't have the funds to outlay for a full system!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Installed these on our 2009 VE SS Wagon earlier in the week....

Reasonably loud inside the car given it's a wagon & I hadn't had a chance to listen to a drive by / take off until the mrs jumped behind the wheel last night...

I'm amazed at the deep twin rumble note these produce... i'ts not obnoxious by any means, i suspect due to many options out there some alternative pipes / muffler deletes would sound like ass. For example straight pipe, no j pipe & sizing.

Minimal drone at 60 kms / 100 kms with cruise on, manual shifting there is a really nice note on downshift. You can hear the AFM kick in after a 2 minute cold start at idle & AFM is present when low in rev range. By no means is AFM painful, the beauty of this is you can really control the note around town with your driving style.

Car is an AFM Auto, i can't believe how many people take the piss and suggest $3k plus exhaust systems or budget 2.5" catback systems for those who are just after a nice note. From what iv'e read those that have installed a $700 plus installation 2.5" X force budget systems still aren't happy with the note..

Granted i understand the perfomance benefits of a full system & tune, but this thing is a daily and we just wanted a nice V8 note.

I don't know what the straight pipes (no hotdog) & non j pipe deletes sound like but for $400 & an easy install, i can't recommend these enough!

They are the 3" hotdog / j pipes from VEOnline eBay store:

Any chance of a video of the sound.....idle, rev and drive off ?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual

What do you think they’d be like on a xforce 3 inch stainless system? Has hsv headers as well

TANK 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
What do you think they’d be like on a xforce 3 inch stainless system? Has hsv headers as well
Have the same set up and wondering how they sound on an auto...

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Personally I think it would be better just to change out the cat back section for a better quality system I’m not really that stoked on the sound it’s just a matter of $$$ is all as always