Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust notes comparrison...

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
I'm a big fan of the old school V8 note, and I was wondering if anyone has been able to compare the note between different exhaust manufacturers...The best I've heard is the Manta system on a 2003 Monaro, it seriously gave me goose bumps because I'd never heard the GenIII sound so good. Is there a meatier system out there?

maxy0987

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
i realise the exhaust is part of it but isnt it the cam that gives you the lumpy idle more than the exhaust making the noise?

JMiller

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 M6
I'm wondering the same thing?? I've hread many a Gen III and I can't say I've heard one that sounds really good yet!! All the cat back systems sound too quiet and washed out or very poppy! I'm starting to wonder what mine would sound like if I just cut the mufflers off???

03vyPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 Ute
yeh but thats just a cat back system, a full on system, extractors, hi flow cat, straight flow (is the size of a typical v8 straight flow 3" or still 2.5"?) would sound the goods?
ive also noticed with mine, just a 6 with the full system, got better with time, when i first got it i was semi disappointed with the tone, within 3 months its deeper and meatier than ever.
still best souind comes my mine and my old mans 1970 Premier, that tone is like barry white's morning voice

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Pick up a set of extractors & run a twin hi-flow 2.5" to 3" System... With hotdog on the rear...

Cheers
MaT

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
Mate has a brock shop exhaust on his VX SS and sounded alright with the engine standard had the V8 sound, 2 weeks ago he got a bigger cam and now it sounds bloody awesome, shakes the whole car when it idles, got a lumpy sound to it and improves the sound a S**t load more.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Nope, the Monaro only had pacemakers and a Manta exhaust. The Manta system is a twin 3". I've heard it with and without the rear muffler, and both times it sounds meaty as, just that with the muffler obviously it was quieter. Different exhaust setups make a big difference in sound. Having a bend here and not there makes a difference, all due to the resonation inside.

ris00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 SS
thats alright who sells them? never heard of manta systems.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
thats alright who sells them? never heard of manta systems.

Umm...I dunno haha...I think it's just a dealer type thing, where an exhaust shop might choose to sell Manta systems...A bit of ringing around your local exhaust centres might just be the go if you're interested.