Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Exhaust opinions

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
I currently run a twin 2.5 system on my car. it has two straight through mufflers for the centre, and merges into a single 2.5 muffler at the back, with a single 2.5 pipe coming out of that. I'm considering chopping off the rear muffler, and running two straight through 2.5 inch pipes, so it will only have the two centre mufflers. How loud will this be? At the moment, its fairly quiet in the lower revs. Will it be loud to the point of being undriveable, or have a nice note but a little bit loud?

Does anyone have a similar system (twin 2.5, no rear muffler) and can comment on what its like to drive with?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I thing Airstrike has a twin 2 1/2" all the way and he loves it.

It will sound really good, nice and throaty. The way a V8 should sound....

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah thats what im after. a proper v8 sound, but nothing thats going to drive me nuts while driving it. i suppose a straight through muffler wouldnt really alter the noise level that much anyway

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well mine has 2x2.25 with a redback straight through on each pipe, no rear muffler and I'd be fined 5 seconds after entering Melbourne. It's waaaaaay too loud. You search VP driveby on youtube that's full noise from over 100 meters away. I don't like it, it needs more mufflers for sure

Last edited:

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I'd be fined 5 seconds after entering Melbourne. It's waaaaaay too loud.

Haha i agree the inner city melbournites and police probably wouldnt be big fans of your car. but then again most people, melbourne or not, these days just cant appreciate the sound of a beautiful motorcar.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Try removing the rear muffler and put a hot-dog in its place should stop the crackling sound but give you a nice note, If you remove the rear muffler completely it will drive you crazy:axe:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i have had my car for a year or so now, with (what i consider to be) a semi-loud exhaust, single 2.5 with one primary muffler. no secondary. i have been pulled over 7 times for "random inspections"

melbourne cops are a bit over the top.

my mates 308 one tonner has a twin system with two of the same primary mufflers i have and the exhaust exits out each side of the car just b4 the rear wheel and its the perfect volume. when he is on the fwy it isnt too bad and sounds nuts when he puts the boot in. mine drones a bit too much at 100kmph. so to summarise, i say, run a muffler on each pipe, but about widway up the car, not at the end. IMO.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
so to summarise, i say, run a muffler on each pipe, but about widway up the car, not at the end. IMO.

so basically what im after in the first post. the two centre mufflers, one on each pipe, and no rear muffler on the end? wont drone much on the freeway you reckon?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Stocky mine has zero drone, I don't think twin systems can drone?. Seems not.

Didn't you have it without the rear muffler for ages and decided it was too loud? or did I imagine that

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Twin systems can drone when the tail pipes exit side by side like in the VT-VZ V8's. Split them to either side of the car and they sound really good.

I'm contemplating fitting dumpers just behind the rear wheels on our Senator just to see what it sounds like.