Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust question

bo0std

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
hey guys, have been and got a few quotes for a full exhaust system for my 06 vz maloo. now prices are pretty steep at the moment for a 3 inch system.
heard from a mate of mine that has a vu ss ute, he took from the rear mufflers to the tips off and got a straight pipe set-up made. now im thinking of doing the same as the cost is very cheap but was wondering if anyone knew if it made the car run worse or long term damage it could cause.
any ideas/suggestions/input would be helpful
thanks.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
removing the rear section will not damage anything, but it would be ideal to replace the whole system. try ebay, there are some good prices on there

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey mate, You can remove cats/mufflers and replace with bits of piping but your exhaust will only be as good as the overall size. If you weren't going to do anything to the engine that'd be fine for noise and maybe a touch of poke. a Cheap and easy alternative for a change of exhaust note.

If u intend to get some serious work done you'll end up replacing the entire system to something larger like dual 3inch. If your not you can easily get away with dual 2.5 or just do what your mate did.

Just think about your future plans with the car, if your going far with it. Fork out and do the job once and correctly. i hear people changing their exhaust multipul times cause they suddenly go FI.

For exmaple. My exhaust on my SV6 is twin 2.5 into single 3 straight through. its WAY WAY to big. but i'm planning stroker/cam/FI.

jacksoncroucher

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
if your only looking for sound the strait through system is deffinately the cheapest way to go it will cost about 100 to 200 from memory? just depends what you want to spend and want to get out of it

bo0std

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
yeah not really planning on doing anything engine wise. only drive the car on the weekends as i have a work van so it sits in the garage during the week so yeah not gonna throw too much money at it.
thanks for the advise guys.
appreciate it.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
If its only for sound then go for it.
Get the exhaust shop to make full pipes from the last join and keep your tail pipe/mufflers intact.
This is in case you end up hating the sound and want the originals back on then its just a bolt up exercise.

bo0std

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
If its only for sound then go for it.
Get the exhaust shop to make full pipes from the last join and keep your tail pipe/mufflers intact.
This is in case you end up hating the sound and want the originals back on then its just a bolt up exercise.

yeah thats what my mate has done incase the "you know who" dont like the sound of it either.
and i was just going to get them to put flanges on each end that way i could bolt it on and off if needed.

bo0std

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo
now on another note, stainless steel or mild steel?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
now on another note, stainless steel or mild steel?

doesnt matter, stainless is just lighter, just get mild steel, unless u get a full system, otherwise its a waste of money IMO

Gothem92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
doesnt matter, stainless is just lighter, just get mild steel, unless u get a full system, otherwise its a waste of money IMO

They also say mild steel changes the note at low rpm and on idle and stainless is higher rpm. but its #### all so dont ever worry. lol

and stainless is more durable... ofc :p