Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Question

Z

zx9

How hard is it to remove the exhaust, does the rear axle need to be removed first?

I need to replace the small muffler at the very rear of my VN that has a hole rusted though. I was thinking of picking up a second hand one from the wreakers, but wanted to know first how hard they are to replace. From what I can see, the system the exhaust is just held on by a couple of bolts and some rubber rings, but it seems to wrap around the top of the rear alxe which means i'd need to take out the rear axle first. Not something i want to do. Has anybody done this before ... i need some "How to" information.

Thanks.

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Hey man...Pretty easy, as long as the pipes haven't bonded together..Which they prob have...You don't need to remove the rear axle, just jack up the back of the car and it will bend over the axle...

Z

zx9

Cruzey said:
Hey man...Pretty easy, as long as the pipes haven't bonded together..Which they prob have...You don't need to remove the rear axle, just jack up the back of the car and it will bend over the axle...

Thanks Cruzey, that's what i wanted to hear, i didn;t think it would get past the top of the axle with the small muffler attached. Would a normal jack do, or do i need to get the thing really high ... ie ramps or something.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If there's an exhaust shop or garage nearby, do what I did - get them to cut the axle-over bend in half for you. Cost me $10, and took them about two minutes.

And if, unlike me, you live more than two streets away from this exhaust shop, it's probably a good idea to have some alfoil and a thick roll of duct tape ready to hold it together for the drive home. you don't want to take the ass-end off and have the boys in blue see you on the way back home with half an exhaust ^^

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
From memory a normal jack would do the trick, just make sure there is enough clearance..Its a fairly easy job...

Z

zx9

Cruzey said:
From memory a normal jack would do the trick, just make sure there is enough clearance..Its a fairly easy job...

Thanks Cruzey, actually i didn't realised it joined in the middle just above the axle, i first thought that i was gonna have to try and pull the rear muffler over the axle, so as long as i can seperate the pipes as you said (they do look pretty rusty) then i should be right, as i only need to replace the rear muffler.