Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Questions

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you're doing something similar to what I did (series 1 redline full system and otr/tune) and it was roughly 5K 3 years ago, I'd hate to think what corners you'd need to cut to pull the budget down to $2.5-3.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I think the HSV X-pipe has too much blend internally and has a high pitched more a 6 cylinder note than a V8 at higher revs.

I think this is spot on. My stock 340 does sound very "high pitched" when revved out. Its not your classic beefy V8 noise, it definitely "hardens" up as you up the revs.

I quite like it though, but if you are used to traditional V8s it would sound very different. Maybe I'll get bored one day and do some modding to it.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Just for some perspective.
Full exhaust, Intake and tune $3990 down here from GM Motorsport.
Not far away from the $ you had in mind and all the work is done.
Then there are exhaust “upgrades” if you choose.

E30C7AA9-E22F-436D-9F9E-58E621BB636F.jpeg

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think this is spot on. My stock 340 does sound very "high pitched" when revved out. Its not your classic beefy V8 noise, it definitely "hardens" up as you up the revs.

I quite like it though, but if you are used to traditional V8s it would sound very different. Maybe I'll get bored one day and do some modding to it.
The HSV X-pipe turns the exhaust into a single system note and takes away the V8 thump because the front pipe lengths are pretty equal from each bank where they join into the X. Like a VN for example where the RH front pipe crosses behind the gearbox and it's longer than the LH engine pipe, the V8 traditional twin system thump remains at lower revs with a single and X-pipe exhaust system.

The crossover or blend area in my X-pipe is 1 7/8" much smaller area than the HSV X and sounds more like an H-pipe system retaining some V8 thump mid range. Top end it's starts to go into the higher pitched V8 Supercar type X-pipe note.

Here's a pretty raw video of the sound, but it's very different to the 340 R8 type note with more traditional V8 thump.

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
hey mate what kinda full exhaust did you end you going with and otr ? I’m happy to fit it all to save in cost ect.
X force 3 inch with 1 3/4 x force extractors.
Most hate x force on here but im very happy with mine.
Otr is a harrop.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I’m in the team hate x-force!
Put one on my Caprice and two weeks later ordered a replacement system.
Current SS came with an x-force and I had that replaced at the first chance I could!!
Everyone has a different ear and what sounds good to you is the right answer.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I’m in the team hate x-force!
Put one on my Caprice and two weeks later ordered a replacement system.
Current SS came with an x-force and I had that replaced at the first chance I could!!
Everyone has a different ear and what sounds good to you is the right answer.
I've found most VE/VF's you hear with a lousy note are X-force system's, They tend to be raspy I'd say is related to the packing used in the mufflers. Long strand fibreglass makes the smoothest and deepest note and probably Magnaflow is one of few that sound good using a packing other than fibreglass. Stainless wool albeit expensive sounds good too but it's a little louder than fibreglass. Mechanical mufflers sound the worst I think like some the US icons, Flowmaster, Hooker, Corsa etc.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I’ve not heard the Magnaflows, I had Hooker Aerochambers on my XW and on that particular motor combo they sounded pretty mean, I have not heard them on more modern stuff however.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I’ve not heard the Magnaflows, I had Hooker Aerochambers on my XW and on that particular motor combo they sounded pretty mean, I have not heard them on more modern stuff however.
Aero chambers have tough note I guess on older V8's with long tail pipes, but it's a harsh or gruff note. I swapped some Aero chambers on an HG Monaro with a cammed 350 Chev for Lukey Race Series (fibreglass packed) a couple of years ago and the Lukey's were a bit louder but the note was magic, deep and smooth and much nicer than the Aero chambers.

I fitted a Magnaflow system to a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and sounded really good, it actually sounds like a Commodore and hearing it you expect to see a VE/VF not a Jeep!