Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust settle in period

park0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
G'day Guys,

I'm not really up with cars, just a heads up.

i wanted to get an exhaust to give my (stock standard) MY06 VZ some balls so i went down to exhaust shop and got myself Redback Dual 2.25 cat back into twin 2.5 - what i'm told is similar to a V8 exhaust.

I've had it since saturday and it's still not very loud. I was told that there is a settle in period and it takes a while to get its real sound? Has anyone got a similar system? and if so how long did it take to settle in...

also, is it worth removing the rear muffler and welding some pipe in there to make it a bit louder?

thanks guys

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
if you want loud, go 2.5 inch pipe from the cat to a tip,
or
go middle muffler after the cat with a 2.5 pipe to the tip at the back,
ive got that on mine and its pretty loud and has no droning at 100km/h

YouTube - vt v6

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I just got a Redback 2.25" Cat back system installed in my VN wagon today. It's not much better than stock rignt now(my stock was rusted and cracked at the resonator lol) and im also wondering what the settle in period is. ATM i can barely hear it from within the car...

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
you wont hear much with a 2.25, that's the stock size, if you have the rear resi, your not going to get a deep note, just the original note, the settle in period is usually a week but the sound isn't louder after that, its softer, due to carbon build up in your new muffler/s
if your exhaust is loud when you first got it, its not going to get any louder, most likely softer.
from what Ive gathered, a single muffler with a 2 and a half inch pipe straight through to the tip is the preferred option, its loud when you put the foot down, but when your traveling on the freeway, your not going to get a headache from a nasty drone.

hope this helps

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
mate, I got dual hi-flow mufflers replaced on my VE V6, and after two weeks it was alot louder. Haven't touched anything else. I would see what its like after a few weeks, if your still not happy fit extractors, this should increase sound and HP.

If your still not happy swap out to 2.5, though I think its abit of a waste on a na V6.

park0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz exec
thanks guys.. will just stick it out for a few weeks and wait for some changes..

have a drive up to bendigo on the w/e so that should give it a fair kick in the arse.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I just got a Redback 2.25" Cat back system installed in my VN wagon today. It's not much better than stock rignt now(my stock was rusted and cracked at the resonator lol) and im also wondering what the settle in period is. ATM i can barely hear it from within the car...

Does it have a deep note that's just quiet or just a stock sound?

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Does it have a deep note that's just quiet or just a stock sound?

It doesnt sound stock, its a bit meatier. It you can sorta hear it from inside the car while driving. When at a redlight though, for instance, if you throw it in neutral and rev it up, you cant hear the exhaust. Engine overwhelms it (this is at 3k rpm.)

SO its not that great right now, but its better than stock.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Thanks for that. I don't really want a loud exhaust but do want a better note. Might just go the 2.5" lukey option with a hotdog in the rear or the SS system if I can get one cheap.