Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust setup questions for Monaro

Angrychubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Siii CV8 Monaro 5.7
A quick hello to the community of Just commodores,

I have posted this at ls1.com.au but I would like to hear the input of the guys here.

I have finally become a proud owner of a V8 (previoiusly only owning 6's) I currently own a 2004 series 3 CV8 Monaro which is stock as a rock, I have come to the point where I would like to start to modify it and make it a little more agressive .

So I have a question relating to full exhaust set ups (as it seems that most people start here when they begin to mod). Are there any Monaro owners on here or other ls1 owners wanting to lend some very valuable knowledge and expertise to someone new to the V8 crowd?

My questions are these.

1. What are the main brands associated with the LS1 engine, and can the same set up from different companies have the same result in regards to performance and sound quality from the pipes?

2. what are the ball park figues that I will be looking at spending with setting up a full exhaust system? also what gains to power are there to be had?

3. With all of your experiences owning v8's are there any particular brands and types of setups that out perform the others with performance and sound.

4. Is it possible to install the dual pipe setup out the rear like the CV8z's?

5. Is price a factor in quality. Could a set up that costs $500 less perform and sound just as good as the one that is more expencive?

If it helps at all I will be looking for a nice throaty gurgle at idle (as much as I can get with a stock engine atm) with a roar at throttle as well as staying away from DRONE due to me using my CV8 as a daily. Any input or suggestions are very much appreciated.

~Chubby

Rob_VT

Smacked Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 vt exec, 2003 v2 monaro cv8
Congrats on the cv8, GREAT CHOICE!!
were you lucky enough to get a manual like me?
ok so here goes,
1, main brands like pacemaker & genie are good value for money, any ridiculous ebay price will probably be ****, dpe and kpm make nicer(most opinions) systems but cost alot more also.
2, price depends on where you buy from, stainless or mild, ceramic coated or not, hi flo cats yes/no,
3, this is where you dont want to listen to anybody. everybody talks their own up and has their own tastes. listen to their car or go down to a REPUTABLE exhaust shop, and most likely theyll be more help than me.
4, yes it is, but only the headers and cats are interchangeable. The difference is the catback and tips.
5, K.I.S.S if it sounds too good to be true, itll probably be a **** sounding/performing system. but most off the shelf systems are normally pretty good, just nothing spectacular.

Im going to be taking my cv8 to Sureflo exhaust in Ingleburn syd, getting full system with custom catback :D
if it drones, or you dont like it when you get it done, tell them to change it.
Hope it helped.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Most bolt on exhausts for the LS1's are pretty similar. You will get your cheaper (but pretty looking) exhausts, but for the most part, they will all achieve the same thing - they will make it sound and go like a V8.

Most people start with the cat back, then it depends on your budget.

I do Manta exhausts. In my opinion, I think they are up there as far as build, flow and note quality go. I would put a Manta up against any of the more expensive systems and guarantee that they will perform as good, if not better.

A twin 2 1/2" cat back with front hot dogs and rear resonator so it will not drone I do for $740 shipped.

The next step is high flow cats and extractors. I use Hurricane, only because I can get them at a good price and pass the savings on. Mated to them I use the Manta 200 cell metallic high flow cats. These will be $1290 on top, so all up $2030 will get you 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" primary 4-1 tuned length extractors, a pair of bolt on high flow metallic cats and the twin 2 1/2" system.

I recommend 4-1's as they will produce a better all round exhaust note as well as achieving the best overall torque improvement. It's a bit of a misconception that tri Y's give better bottom end and 4-1's give better top end, this was true for carby engines, but EFI cars have better fuel delivery and ignition curves to make the 4-1's work right across the rev range. They will still improve the top end over tri Y's but the bottom end difference is negligible on the street. You may pick up the difference on a dyno, but even then it would minimal.