Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust system for my vs

eddy-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 3.8L v6
im trying to find a good exhaust system to make my car sound mean but i dont want to spend money on get one that has a droning noise

i have a commodore vs Ute 96 3.8L v6

if you can help that would be good

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Going to a larger exhaust will make it drone to some extent. Fitting extractors as well takes some of the drone away. Comes down to a compromise between "acceptable" drone and a loud exhaust.

I do the Manta system with a muffler and resonator for $280 shipped. Add $375 for extractors. Take off $45 if you want just a tail pipe, which will make it louder, but it will also drone a lot more.

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Too true Not_An_Abba_Fan. I'm not a fan of them either!. lol. Well before my time, that's for sure. More of my parents era. lol.

Often droning is caused by large mufflers, and often the glass-pack type although this will happen with most large ones. If I was building a custom exhaust for a VS V6 i'd be doing something like installing extractors, keeping the exhaust around standard size "as it's already very large for factory", running a good quality resonator "if permitted - laws and all", and then your 2 mufflers. Wouldn't go for large ones, though. The extractors will work nice with initial gas flow and give some more efficiency, while the resonator will give a more even gas flow for further down the line. Running reasonably small mufflers will also help keep the droning noise down while still retaining a little raw noise.

Regards!

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hey not an abba fan, your inbox is once again full so hopefully you will see this post here.

I recently pmed you about getting the rear section for my holden VS Ute replaced with a resonator instead of hotdog to hopefully eliminate the drone and i believe you quoted me $120 delivered, just wondering if you can still do this deal?

As i currently had a little issue, but now have the funds and would rather a quieter less droney exhaust, it currently is just a 2.5 catback with redback glasspack centre muffler i believe and a hotdog which i would rather swap for a resonator which is the best option to rid the drone?

Hopefully it all will fit well as last time the rear piece didn't quite fit properly and needed to be bended with the oxy a little. Could i also grab your payment details.

I am also guessing itll be similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Holden-VS-6-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c136f41af

Thanks
Matt

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, pretty much it. I can still do it for that price, yes.

I've cleaned out my inbox and sent you a PM.