Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust system for SV6

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
Monaro327..yours sounds just like an 8 :D

Will be definately doing that to mine

So basically all that is needed to be done is to remove the 2 stock muffler boxes where the tips are and replace with straight through mufflers and remove the 2" pipe and fit 2.25" instead.

Kye

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SV6
Ive got Genie Sports Mufflers on my SV6 Sedan. They were custom made and would set you back around $300 without tips. The note is pretty good but there is a slight drone at low revs but its nothing to unbearable. To the guys with Redbacks do they drone at all ??

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Pretty much Unit_01, though if ur pockets are deeper headers and hi-flo cats would make it a more refined note

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Hardly Kye, I guess tho it depends on the system as a whole not just the mufflers

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
To clarify

Get those taken out and replace it with straight 2.25 inch stainless steel?

That's what I asked my exhaust guy to do.

EDIT: That's monaro327's picture, I stole it from another thread, i havent done it yet.

Unit_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 M6
^^ Alrighty, that makes it alot clearer :)

If I just get that section replaced and the rear mufflers will it sound just like manoro327's? Or will it be slightly different due to he has the extractors and other bits.

cheers.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
at the end of the day the majority of the note comes from the rear mufflers. just do it in bits and do it slowly, i've heard alot of alloytecs and man to 99% of them sound like ****. this motor can get really really barky i did all my exhaust mods in stages so i know what i could reverse if the note went up the creek.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
Do the rear mufflers first - Redbacks, and see how you like it. Then the next step is taking the hotdogs and crimp out like in the picture, and itll get a little bit louder, then go for the headers and cats which will quieten it a little bit. If you do it in stages like this its easier to get it exactly how you want it, and you have way more control over it. I made the mistake of doing too much in one go and it costs a lot of money and time fixing it after that!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
personally i'd do pacies rer mufflers and leave it at that. true hiflow cats will throw the check engine light which means a tune.

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
yeh good point but ive gotten used to that light now, i got told u can get it turned off for 90ish bucks tho - id rather put up with it