Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Tips

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
I was driving behind a 2016 hsv club sport yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how cool
the larger exhaust tips looked compared to my vf2 ssv. I know there are other differences in the rear ends of the two vehicles but the exhaust tips really caught my eye, they give it a pretty mean look. To get something similar on my 2016 ssv is it just a matter of taking it
to an exhaust place and have the 2 mufflers replaced with different tips. I assume you don't need to get the pipes replaced. Does anyone know what would be the aprox cost of this. Also,
if someone has done something similar would they be able to maybe post a pic so i can see what it might look like.
Thanks, Merv

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. its an optical illusion.

The actual exhaust pipes are the same .. but have very large round chrome 'outlets'
in the rear bumper. You have to swap the whole plastic rear bumper to get the 'look' :)

ps.. the 'chrome' circles (where the actual pipes exit) corrode very quickly .. and NO, HSV do not replace them under warranty

HSV-Gen-F_Clubsport_R8_SV-2014-1600-03.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
it's the same illusion that the VXR has , two large outlets but the exhaust is small .

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
As a new owner of one of these, I'd have preferred the real exhausts poking out.
I'm not a big fan of fake tips (careful typing required there!), but at least it has four real ones hiding in there. I've followed a lot of Merc V8 SUVs recently and they have some funky shaped tips, but only two actual outlets behind them?
https://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-c...ercedes-AMG-GLC-63-S-4MATIC-Review-SHA-15.JPG

Also +1 on them getting stained/corroding. Its there already, and my old car had exhaust shrouds which got discoloured quickly. With metallic plastic, its hard to avoid...

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
it's the same illusion that the VXR has , two large outlets but the exhaust is small .
Ok, that makes sense so that is not an option. Would it be possible for an exhaust place to just remove and replace the existing tips with larger ones?
Merv

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ok, that makes sense so that is not an option. Would it be possible for an exhaust place to just remove and replace the existing tips with larger ones?
Merv

of course , but it won't make a whit of difference to the sound , it might look better , but that's all

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Are the HSV illusion tips 4"?

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
I was driving behind a 2016 hsv club sport yesterday and I couldn't help but notice how cool
the larger exhaust tips looked compared to my vf2 ssv. I know there are other differences in the rear ends of the two vehicles but the exhaust tips really caught my eye, they give it a pretty mean look. To get something similar on my 2016 ssv is it just a matter of taking it
to an exhaust place and have the 2 mufflers replaced with different tips. I assume you don't need to get the pipes replaced. Does anyone know what would be the aprox cost of this. Also,
if someone has done something similar would they be able to maybe post a pic so i can see what it might look like.
Thanks, Merv
The VF's stainless steel TIG welded exhaust tips are one of the higher quality components Holden included. With my previous VE, it was a nightmare to keep the chrome tips clean and free off corrosion spots...I spent countless hours with the chrome polish keeping them clean. Now with the VF, all the stainless tips need is a wipe with some 3M stainless steel cleaner.....literally just a wipe every now and then and the tips stay immaculate. The dual wall design and the 'Baillie' tip will certainly be valued in the future as they become rare. Walker, the supplier of the tips had them manufactured in China and the reject rate was up to 50%, before they were fitted to the exhaust system ready to be installed on an LS3 powered car. I think the tips look great on the VF and much nicer than the HSV fake tips. If you want to increase the diameter, you should consider dual wall stainless tips similar to the ones on the Camaro ZL1 (the ZL1, not the SS). Those tips have a flared outer edge like a bell. They look great.