Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Tips

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If I can pipe-up from the sidelines … I personally think the stock ones look great.
EternityDre's just look better again! :)

But then I grew up in an era when a V8 Commodore exhaust looked like:

Holden-Commodore-VH-SLE-rear-side.jpg

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
If I can pipe-up from the sidelines … I personally think the stock ones look great.
EternityDre's just look better again! :)

But then I grew up in an era when a V8 Commodore exhaust looked like:

Holden-Commodore-VH-SLE-rear-side.jpg
Love that photo Forg, I had one of these with the 4.2 litre v8 (the 253) pumping out a massive 120 kw. It had the twin exhaust like in your photo which i thought at the time looked hot.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Love that photo Forg, I had one of these with the 4.2 litre v8 (the 253) pumping out a massive 120 kw. It had the twin exhaust like in your photo which i thought at the time looked hot.
Ooh, yours was modded!
Apparently in standard form the dual-exhaust version was rated at 96kW, up from the throbbing 87kW of the single exhaust … would give a naturally aspirated 1.4L Suzuki Swift a run for it's money, I'll tell you! Well, if the Swift was loaded with 5 people & luggage … :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I don't understand why exhaust tips are so expensive to buy. They almost cost more than the rest of the exhaust system (LOL - slight exaggeration for effect).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The stock ones on an SSVR are a tad work-of-art-ey, they've got a nice brushed-metal finish (which … well frankly, why?).
Simple tips aren't expensive, my Volvo just has a stainless piece of maybe 6" length 3" diameter pipe with a 30-odd-degree downwards mandrel-bend on the end, it was something like $20 last year. :)

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ahh the old thong slapper 2 flies and a flea bahaha,had one in my lx torry with a 2 inch twin system with no balance pipe,sounded very double pluggery...

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
The standard tips on the vf ss have a double wall, angle cut, bevelled outlet with a 2.75 inch diameter. Good quality but doesn't have any real presence. I have pretty much decided to replace them with 3.5 inch tips, I don't think you would notice much difference with going 3 inch. Also, to add a bit more effect i will stick with the double wall angled cut but go with a rolled edge like on the round chrome outlets in the rear bumper of the HSV.
I am going to an exhaust shop to price them including fitting but i notice that the 'on line' shops want about $60 or more for each one. Ouch
Merv

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
when i had my system done these are the ones i got put on. Not a huge fan of the rolled look. The stock SSVR ones were nice these are just a bit bigger.

upload_2019-10-25_8-20-21.png

upload_2019-10-25_8-20-46.png

upload_2019-10-25_8-21-3.png

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Derekthetree, could you tell me what is the diameter/width of the chrome outlets ie 3in or 3.5in?. I am going to change the exhaust tips on my 2016 ssv to get a similar look, i will get the angle cut tips with the rolled edge, just need to make my mind up on size.

I have seen this, but keep forgetting to measure them! Will try over the weekend :)