Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust tips

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
Hey all

Got the VT booked in to get a 2.5" cat-back system with pacemaker extractors but I'm still undecided on the tip.

Theres three tips that I've got my eye on which is:
A) large, wide, single oval tip
B) Double D twin tip with rounded edges and gives a fluttering sound (tip designed for a HSV GTS.
or C) Same as above without the rounded edges and apperently doesn't flutter.

The engine is a 3.8L V6 non-charged and would love to make it roar when I accelerate and silent when coasting. Which tip would be more ideal and what is the fluttering sound that the exhaust dude mentioned?

cheers

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
Save your money for something that counts - Exhaust Tips are for Hyundia Excels and lancers, just paint the 2 1/2 pipe matt black.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
A chrome twin exhaust of some kind... I prefer the rounded ones, but its personal preference i guess... I'd say go for the twin exchausts though, and chrome tips really give the rear a nice finished look

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
I'd go a nice oval one to match the shape of the rear bar.
twin exits looks pretty good though!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
go for the oval one of the twin with the rounded edges, i think it was designed to give the V8 that throaty roar, might not sound good on the 6 though, trial and error

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
i've been told by the dude where i got my exhaust that the tip doesn't alter the overall sound of the exhaust at all....

but i still got a VQ tip for my VN and it looks sweet as

i'd be looking into somthing chrome though they look wicked especially if you've got silver/chrome mags

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
changing the tip should change the tone/note of the exhaust somewhat. look at the boy racers in their ricers, they have 1 1/2" exhaust with a 4" tip sounds bloody awfull if you ask me

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
immortality said:
changing the tip should change the tone/note of the exhaust somewhat. look at the boy racers in their ricers, they have 1 1/2" exhaust with a 4" tip sounds bloody awfull if you ask me

They arent exhaust tips really though, they're cannons/hot dogs.... They're a muffler/resonator.

Toms 50th Ani

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L VT executive 50th Aniversary
I settled for the double D twin exit with the rounded edges (GTS style). The complete exhaust sounds absolutly awsome :D If only it had the extra 2 pistons and 60kW's that goes with it lol

The GTS tip was also made to fit nicely with the curved rear bar like the single oval tip.

cheers

Soybean

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 5-speed
got an oval tip put on my system and it made it sound a lil' bit deeper that was all. sounds like it echos or somethin too.