Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust too loud, how to pass epa

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
hey there,
i have a vr i need a rwc and the guy picked the exhaust, i took it to an epa test and it was 104db where it needs to be around 90. I have just bought the car and it looks to have a 2.5 exhaust with 1 muffler (centre) and straight through pipe after that. I dont want to spend a lot of cash as i want to sell it soon so i dont want to buy a new stock system and ebay is pretty light on for a non irs model. Problem is the last owner modified it , welded the straight through pipe all the way back to the muffler so i cant just add a rear muffler.
I saw a thread somewhere about putting some type of restricter where the exhaust joins the cat. Will this make it quiet. I think it was some type of plate with some holes drilled in it but cant remember the details
Or if anyone in melbourne has a stock system they arent using non irs v6 vr i could buy cheap or "rent" just to pass the rwc let me know
cheers

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Take it to an exhaust place, get them to cut it a bit, weld a muffler and resi in, then get them to test it. There ARE cheap ways to do it, but i don't know of them, nor do i know if they work.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
try jamming it full of steel wool for the test.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
roll up chicken wire and push it down the exhaust it worked for me

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
easy fix. get a flange gasket for ur exhaust, take it to a machine shop, have them make up a small replica in thin mild steel without the actual exhaust centre, and drill holes in the centre. restricting the exhaust acting as a baffle, ive done it plenty of times. ur car doesnt run at its best, but only needs to pass epa right :)

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
yeah i am still here

interesting ideas dont know about the steel wool, wouldnt it just get blown out when they test it?

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
Hey trikkben

i am in Langwarrin, but willing to travel for an easy fix

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
easy fix. get a flange gasket for ur exhaust, take it to a machine shop, have them make up a small replica in thin mild steel without the actual exhaust centre, and drill holes in the centre. restricting the exhaust acting as a baffle, ive done it plenty of times. ur car doesnt run at its best, but only needs to pass epa right :)

i could do this very easily, if you want, just stick the flange gasket in a envelope and post it to me, let me no if you want me to.

Ben

tenggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore, Vr Acclaim
Thanks mate, but not sure if that would work time wise, as i only have 5 days left to take it back for the rwc