Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust wrap for Pacemakers

Pos

BOOYAHHH
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute 5Lt
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has done it themselves, used exhaust wrap on there V8 Pacemakers & how much difference did it make to under bonnet temps & how much did you use? I'm not sure if a 50ft roll is enough for a pair of 5l Pacies for mr VR? :idea3:

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I have heard pros and cons for them.

Your car will benefit in the short term from lower under bonnet temp and hotter extractor temp but the thermal wrap tends to limit the life of the extractors to about 1 year in most cases due to cracking welds and corrosion.

Off the top of my head (never have done it) 50 foot sounds plenty enough (although I could be wrong).

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah I heat wrapped my pacemakers (against advice from exhaust shops)
mine lasted more than a year, probably more like 7 years/60,000km before one side cracked big time.
They overheat, the metal crystalises and cracks

I'd strongly suggest not wrapping them. Not a lot of benefit for the damage it does to the extractors

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
If I were you I would look into getting them professionally coated as that will do the same as heat wrap and not degrade the extractors in anyway, if not it will make them better.
I've got some pacemakers on my Vt V6 and within a year they have started to ever so slightly rust in some small patches.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Ceramic coating will not work the same as heat wrapping. Similar, but heat wrapping is better for exhaust flow as it keeps the headers hotter.

Don't do it on a street car, you probably won't notice the difference. If you are more worried about engine bay temps, then ceramic coating will be better. But while driving, the temps aren't that bad, it is only while sitting stationary that the temps get up.

Exhaust flows better through pipe when the pipe is hot, this is why most Japanese cars have insulated exhausts, not to protect anything from the exhaust, but to keep it hot and aid flow.