Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust wrap

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a basically new pacemaker 1 7/8 headers and I'm pretty sure they are ceramic coated but really a coating is not going to solve the heat being radiated atm. Engine is running at temp...nothing abnormal so I guess its the price I have to pay for adding a couple of extra HP.

I think I might start with adjusting the back of my bonnet up...like a 1/4, 1/2cm or so. Hopefully it will blow a little more heat out.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...I think I might start with adjusting the back of my bonnet up...like a 1/4, 1/2cm or so. Hopefully it will blow a little more heat out.
Thats very old school but is is appropriate on a modern car which has carefully controlled engine bay airflow considering all the seals around the bonnet, radiator and such? May cause more problems than it solves...

Have you checked the tune isn’t running too rich which must increase exhaust gas temps if it is... An exhaust gas temp sensor could be an interesting upgrade and may be quite revealing... as would a wideband O2 sensor which should give you an idea how well the tune is working... and fuel consumption numbers also say lots :p

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Thats very old school but is is appropriate on a modern car which has carefully controlled engine bay airflow considering all the seals around the bonnet, radiator and such? May cause more problems than it solves...

Have you checked the tune isn’t running too rich which must increase exhaust gas temps if it is... An exhaust gas temp sensor could be an interesting upgrade and may be quite revealing... as would a wideband O2 sensor which should give you an idea how well the tune is working... and fuel consumption numbers also say lots :p

I think your right on the money there. I just took my car down to the mechanics this morning for a fine tune on the dyno. It was definately running rich. I could smell it when I pulled the car up and the exhaust was definately scorching hot.
I just got my car back just then and have immediately noticed the difference. Its sort of driving like a different car to be honest. Seems alot smoother and the bonnet heat which was like a frying pan yesterday is almost non existent today (though it was a short run)

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
adjusting the back of my bonnet up...like a 1/4, 1/2cm or so. Hopefully it will blow a little more heat out.
Don't do this.
The cabin air intake draws air from the scuttle panel (just below the windscreen). If you lift the rear of the bonnet and have an exhaust leak in the engine you risk sending carbon monoxide into the cabin (really bad).

Most cars have a positive pressure in this scuttle area as the air flows over this scuttle panel at speed. This helps to force air into the cabin when the vents are open. Lifting the rear of the bonnet may allow this pressure to force air back into the under-bonnet area - the reverse of what you'd expect.

In any case the aerodynamics of the car will change unpredictably... possibly with dangerous results.