Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhausts?? What to get?

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by Ando227, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Ando227

Ando227 Serious?

Members Ride:
    Vy Series II Ute
    So, I'm looking at getting a brand new exhaust to replace my shitty old standard one on my V6 Vn Calais... Now I dont want something REALLY LOUD.. but not quiet either, something that will turn heads and still make an amazing tune.

I've had a quick talk to the local Rev 'eds and the best suggestion of come up with so far is: a 2 1/2 inch pipe from CAT back with one muffler and 1 hot dog with a chromed tip.. which should cost between $300-$400 from dynoflo in dubbo..

any suggestions would be great.

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    look at the post your exhaust thread and listen for something you like

3. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    Depends on what your after and reasons for replacing your current exhaust. If you want a replacement exhaust for a V6 that will offer actual performance gains, then $400 aint gonna cut it. Don't be fooled by people who tell you you can get say a redback or whatever, catback exhaust for $200...These exhaust's will offer nothing but a change in exhaust note. Feel free to argue anyone, but show me where they have proven performance gains......If your just after sound, and a better apearance from the rear of your car, you can replace the rear section with a straight through pipe, or with the use of a hotdog, deleting the rear resonator is where the majority of your exhaust note is going to come from, and then for apearance you can add your tip. Going up to a 2.5 inch pipe for the centre and rear sections on a somewhat standard V6, is pointless. Make most of your backpressure and low down tourqe and leave it as is. Replacing your headers, fitting extactors,mufflers, and using a high flow cat, (yes standard cats flow fairly well, but have a guess at how old your current cat is, and compare it's current flow rate..) are where the gains are going to come from.

4. VY_utester

VY_utester New Member

Members Ride:
    VY executive ute s1
    redback or lukey bolt on from ebay, resinator to lessen the drone, and nice two barrel lip for that hsv look. Done

5. Stupa

Stupa New Member

Members Ride:
    VU Storm
    If your looking for cheap, get some pipe bent up for a cat back and slap in a coupla hot dogs, as said above, if you want some gains from it, other than looks from people thinking 'here comes another 6 with a zorst' then start at the block and work back.

6. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    If your going to buy a red back bolt on from ebay, why not save $195, and just drill or hammer a few random holes here and there throughout your exhaust...
    It will have much the same effect, more noise, and a loss of tourque. Just because you increase the diamater of a pipe, doesent mean you've made it less restrictive, or that it's going to flow any better. It's about air velocity, much like the air intake system on your car. Picture this, you have a table, on this table i spread out some let's just say sawdust...? ok, now i give you a straw to blow through, which is 10mm in diamater, you'll be able to blow the sawdust off the table. Now swap that straw for a peice of 3inch pipe, or tubing, and imagine trying the same thing. This is air velocity- Hope i didnt confuse you....:bang:

7. Goon

Goon Scientific Tuning

Members Ride:
    VY CUSTOM.
    lol all sound and no power!!

put some power into it and u might not have to change ur exhaust

[EDIT] go the cannon!

8. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    It's not about blowing sawdust it's about making your lungs empty as fast as possible. More flow, less velocity comes with it. Velocity is great in an exhaust but you use it to draw gas from another cylinder on the overlap and you do that in the headers collectors not in the tail pipe. A small pipe with big velocity all the way to the tail pipe will have backpressure. The more back pressure you have the less velocity you will have in the collectors where you need it and then you fail. On any system with correct headers back pressure and small pipes belong in the bin. If the whole back pressure story was true cars would run faster at the drags with the pipes on but they never do, some people say you loose low end, in that case they would be slower over 60 foot, they never are. Common myth invented by exhaust shops to make their job easier. Nah mate, you want it small (((and easy to make like this....))) good back pressure then wink wink bullshit bullshit lol :p

9. one_and_only2004

one_and_only2004 Turbo L98 FTW

Members Ride:
    Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo

The amount of times i've told that to people....

10. Fun_Bucket

Fun_Bucket New Member

Members Ride:
    Cruze II sri
    Greenfoam, i wasnt suggesting to him use smaller pipes or any of that ****, yeah most cars do go better without pipes, but in saying that, take the full exhaust system off a somewhat standard car, and i doubt you'll notice an improvement. There are plenty of V8's putting out however many hundrerd HP , running 2.5 inch piping, and not having a problem, i don't see the sense in fitting the same 2.5 inch piping , to a V6...And like i was saying, i have never seen anywhere, actual PROVEN performance gains, from just bolting on a 2.5 inch cat-back system from the likes off redback, but OP do what you want, hell, fit a 3 inch exhaust if you like, and we'll put your and mine side by side, I'll send you my G-tech in the mail, and we'll compare and post the results huh?

11. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I have a gtech, my car has run 5.3's to 60 mph and also gained 30 rwhp through different exhaust setups on a standard engine. Sure it's a 304 but the theory is the same. I've gone from 9.4 1/8th miles on the standard exhaust, to 9.2 on a 2.5 inch cat back, to 9.0 on long headers into twin cats into 2.5 single. To..... who knows but +15rwhp on a full dual system that finally has let the headers to there job and is by far the biggest gain I've have had from any of those systems, I know exactly what gains came from what system (it's had 4 different exhaust setups on it so far) and I have no doubt it's still alot quicker straight out of the headers (which are 38 inches long with 8 inch collectors).

You can do the same on the V6, but you need good headers first a good merge to help scavange the collectors and then whatever gets it out to atmospheric pressure with the least restriction possible. The point I was trying to make is that all your gains on the exhaust are from the header/collector and your merge after that nothing matters so long as it has the least restriction possible. All race exhausts end at that point

12. StormVY

StormVY New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Storm Ute
    I have a 2003 VY Storm Ute. At the moment it has a stock exhaust system (single cat running one pipe through two mufflers).

I was going to just cut out the end muffler and put it straight through (or a resi depending on what would sound better), but the piping from the cat-back has some rust on it so figured I should replace it. I don't want to spend much as I only want the sound and can't afford extractors and a new cat.

A Redback system would be nice but I can't justify the cost just for some sound. Would it be possible to install a 2nd hand SS setup (most of the ones Ive seen are dual pipes)? I dont want to install hotdogs as I would prefer to not look like a d!ckhead.

13. DUK13Y

DUK13Y When in doubt, slide it out

Members Ride:
    VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
    Yes the SS set up fits but you need to get the twin cats to suit. Zeussy has done this mod. Should PM him.

14. StormVY

StormVY New Member

Members Ride:
    VY Storm Ute
    I ended up taking out the rear muffler and putting a pipe there instead. Cost $100 at the local exhaust shop. Now sounds a little more like it looks.

Thanks to the straight up talk above me I realised I was never going to get a power increase with a cat-back so what's the point.

15. Bz Kn33z

Bz Kn33z Active Member

Members Ride:
    Black VN V6 Turbo
    What type of exhaust do you suggest Holdencommodorevp? and how much would this magic exhaust cost, and why would you bother on a stock standard V6, a 2.5 system is high flow, a straight through muffer, it will still gain power but not much, even extractors on a v6 doesnt do much either, at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to a v6 and paying out the ass for **** you dont need is pointless, a 2.5inch exhaust can flow 150rwkw dunno how meny N/A V6 buicks out there with that.

16. VP CALIBER

VP CALIBER Guest

so u what ya car to sound like a wet fart ya not looking for performance just sound so do as u like or what the exhaust place offer on the cheap they get a lot of people girls in that just wanna get there car 2 sound nice well so called half loud not to loud just loud enough for people to tern and look at them so u could say i wonna get a half loud one that sounds nice lol but not to loud ummm you could say like a wet fart sorry m8 do as the exhaust place points out good luck on the change over
    :thumbsup:

17. VYFORI

VYFORI VEFORME

Members Ride:
    VE Sedan
    Been lookming at exhust systems What about extractors / Dual 2 1/4 sports systems with the new hi-tech gas accelerator merge VTEX..... any good.. ??? anyone have this product .. !!!!!
    PACEMAKER....

RIK...