Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhausts?? What to get?

Ando227

Serious?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series II Ute
So, I'm looking at getting a brand new exhaust to replace my shitty old standard one on my V6 Vn Calais... Now I dont want something REALLY LOUD.. but not quiet either, something that will turn heads and still make an amazing tune.

I've had a quick talk to the local Rev 'eds and the best suggestion of come up with so far is: a 2 1/2 inch pipe from CAT back with one muffler and 1 hot dog with a chromed tip.. which should cost between $300-$400 from dynoflo in dubbo..

any suggestions would be great.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
look at the post your exhaust thread and listen for something you like

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Depends on what your after and reasons for replacing your current exhaust. If you want a replacement exhaust for a V6 that will offer actual performance gains, then $400 aint gonna cut it. Don't be fooled by people who tell you you can get say a redback or whatever, catback exhaust for $200...These exhaust's will offer nothing but a change in exhaust note. Feel free to argue anyone, but show me where they have proven performance gains......If your just after sound, and a better apearance from the rear of your car, you can replace the rear section with a straight through pipe, or with the use of a hotdog, deleting the rear resonator is where the majority of your exhaust note is going to come from, and then for apearance you can add your tip. Going up to a 2.5 inch pipe for the centre and rear sections on a somewhat standard V6, is pointless. Make most of your backpressure and low down tourqe and leave it as is. Replacing your headers, fitting extactors,mufflers, and using a high flow cat, (yes standard cats flow fairly well, but have a guess at how old your current cat is, and compare it's current flow rate..) are where the gains are going to come from.

VY_utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive ute s1
redback or lukey bolt on from ebay, resinator to lessen the drone, and nice two barrel lip for that hsv look. Done

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
If your looking for cheap, get some pipe bent up for a cat back and slap in a coupla hot dogs, as said above, if you want some gains from it, other than looks from people thinking 'here comes another 6 with a zorst' then start at the block and work back.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
redback or lukey bolt on from ebay, resinator to lessen the drone, and nice two barrel lip for that hsv look. Done

If your going to buy a red back bolt on from ebay, why not save $195, and just drill or hammer a few random holes here and there throughout your exhaust...
It will have much the same effect, more noise, and a loss of tourque. Just because you increase the diamater of a pipe, doesent mean you've made it less restrictive, or that it's going to flow any better. It's about air velocity, much like the air intake system on your car. Picture this, you have a table, on this table i spread out some let's just say sawdust...? ok, now i give you a straw to blow through, which is 10mm in diamater, you'll be able to blow the sawdust off the table. Now swap that straw for a peice of 3inch pipe, or tubing, and imagine trying the same thing. This is air velocity- Hope i didnt confuse you....:bang:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
lol all sound and no power!!

put some power into it and u might not have to change ur exhaust

[EDIT] go the cannon!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If your going to buy a red back bolt on from ebay, why not save $195, and just drill or hammer a few random holes here and there throughout your exhaust...
It will have much the same effect, more noise, and a loss of tourque. Just because you increase the diamater of a pipe, doesent mean you've made it less restrictive, or that it's going to flow any better. It's about air velocity, much like the air intake system on your car. Picture this, you have a table, on this table i spread out some let's just say sawdust...? ok, now i give you a straw to blow through, which is 10mm in diamater, you'll be able to blow the sawdust off the table. Now swap that straw for a peice of 3inch pipe, or tubing, and imagine trying the same thing. This is air velocity- Hope i didnt confuse you....:bang:

It's not about blowing sawdust it's about making your lungs empty as fast as possible. More flow, less velocity comes with it. Velocity is great in an exhaust but you use it to draw gas from another cylinder on the overlap and you do that in the headers collectors not in the tail pipe. A small pipe with big velocity all the way to the tail pipe will have backpressure. The more back pressure you have the less velocity you will have in the collectors where you need it and then you fail. On any system with correct headers back pressure and small pipes belong in the bin. If the whole back pressure story was true cars would run faster at the drags with the pipes on but they never do, some people say you loose low end, in that case they would be slower over 60 foot, they never are. Common myth invented by exhaust shops to make their job easier. Nah mate, you want it small (((and easy to make like this....))) good back pressure then wink wink bullshit bullshit lol :p

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
It's not about blowing sawdust it's about making your lungs empty as fast as possible. More flow, less velocity comes with it. Velocity is great in an exhaust but you use it to draw gas from another cylinder on the overlap and you do that in the headers collectors not in the tail pipe. A small pipe with big velocity all the way to the tail pipe will have backpressure. The more back pressure you have the less velocity you will have in the collectors where you need it and then you fail. On any system with correct headers back pressure and small pipes belong in the bin. If the whole back pressure story was true cars would run faster at the drags with the pipes on but they never do, some people say you loose low end, in that case they would be slower over 60 foot, they never are. Common myth invented by exhaust shops to make their job easier. Nah mate, you want it small (((and easy to make like this....))) good back pressure then wink wink bullshit bullshit lol :p

The amount of times i've told that to people....

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Greenfoam, i wasnt suggesting to him use smaller pipes or any of that ****, yeah most cars do go better without pipes, but in saying that, take the full exhaust system off a somewhat standard car, and i doubt you'll notice an improvement. There are plenty of V8's putting out however many hundrerd HP , running 2.5 inch piping, and not having a problem, i don't see the sense in fitting the same 2.5 inch piping , to a V6...And like i was saying, i have never seen anywhere, actual PROVEN performance gains, from just bolting on a 2.5 inch cat-back system from the likes off redback, but OP do what you want, hell, fit a 3 inch exhaust if you like, and we'll put your and mine side by side, I'll send you my G-tech in the mail, and we'll compare and post the results huh?