Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
OK well as i said in my other post i just picked up a turbo kit for my vl, I wanna eventually go the totally illegal 3" straight through piping exhuast, no mufflers and a pipe through my cat (so when i do drive it on the road it looks legal) I dont care about legality's as it won't be driven much on the road, so i need to know somewhere that will do this for me OR sell me the piping with the mandrel bends so i can weld it myself and make my own...

as of now i have 2.5 inch Lukey exhuast on my car now, will that be ok to run the turbo with for a little while? or will i be having restriction issues? i will be running stock boost on stock vl turbo turbo.. i guess the stock vl turbos came out with smaller than 2.5 so i should be ok yeh?

Thanks Guys

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
OK well as i said in my other post i just picked up a turbo kit for my vl, I wanna eventually go the totally illegal 3" straight through piping exhuast, no mufflers and a pipe through my cat (so when i do drive it on the road it looks legal) I dont care about legality's as it won't be driven much on the road, so i need to know somewhere that will do this for me OR sell me the piping with the mandrel bends so i can weld it myself and make my own...

as of now i have 2.5 inch Lukey exhuast on my car now, will that be ok to run the turbo with for a little while? or will i be having restriction issues? i will be running stock boost on stock vl turbo turbo.. i guess the stock vl turbos came out with smaller than 2.5 so i should be ok yeh?

Thanks Guys

why would you goto the extent of getting a 3" system made, to put a pipe through your 2.25" stock cat? kinda defeats the purpose yeh? or are you going to buy a 3" cat, gut it and put a pipe through that?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Thanks Guys

I have access to mandrel bends - 90 deg, 45 deg and 180 deg. You should be able to piece just about anything together from that. To fool anybody the pipe will probably need to pass thru the middle of the cat, not visa versa though. Why not buy the right one for the job and not worry about it?

Reaper

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
why would you goto the extent of getting a 3" system made, to put a pipe through your 2.25" stock cat? kinda defeats the purpose yeh? or are you going to buy a 3" cat, gut it and put a pipe through that?

STFU Hak.

OP, that's a heaps good idea. I reckon just get a trolley pole and Sikaflex it into your cat, it's not quite 3" but should still flow pretty good. Maybe put 2 in, or even 3 if they will fit?

You could even just drop the zorst before the cats, just pop some holes in the side of the pipe on the inside edge so you can't see it from the road, cops will never know! :w00t::D:thumbsup:

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2

Thanks Guys

Here's a few forums for people like you, go bother them with stupid questions.

calaisturbo.com.au - Powered by vBulletin
VicStreetScene - Unreal Portal

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Dirbatua if its a stupid question why bother telling me where to go? 1 its not helpful, 2 i dont care, 3 how did u learn when u first started? or were u born perfect? and 4 WHY is it a stupid question?

Hakhawk, i wanna do that because a pipe through the cat still has better flow than the cat itself, and even if i could get a 2.5 inch pipe through it, that would still create a venturi of sorts and wouldnt flow that bad anyway.

Danja, HAHA no holes for me lol but still theres a dodgey way to do everything i guess lol

Reaper, What sort of prices would i be looking at? can u always access them or is it like a one off thing? and i dont really wanna spend the money on a performance cat cos i know im gonna sound bogan but for starters i really dont care about the laws on exhuasts lol, and im 1st year apprentice and the less i spend the better if u know what i mean, like im not gonna dodge everything but with this i know that with cats u can put things through them and still achieve good results..

Thanks for the input bar Dirbatua

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Dirbatua if its a stupid question why bother telling me where to go? 1 its not helpful, 2 i dont care, 3 how did u learn when u first started? or were u born perfect? and 4 WHY is it a stupid question?

Hakhawk, i wanna do that because a pipe through the cat still has better flow than the cat itself, and even if i could get a 2.5 inch pipe through it, that would still create a venturi of sorts and wouldnt flow that bad anyway.

Danja, HAHA no holes for me lol but still theres a dodgey way to do everything i guess lol

Reaper, What sort of prices would i be looking at? can u always access them or is it like a one off thing? and i dont really wanna spend the money on a performance cat cos i know im gonna sound bogan but for starters i really dont care about the laws on exhuasts lol, and im 1st year apprentice and the less i spend the better if u know what i mean, like im not gonna dodge everything but with this i know that with cats u can put things through them and still achieve good results..

Thanks for the input bar Dirbatua

ever heard of a bottleneck? a 2.5 pipe in your cat wont help a 3 inch exhaust

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
haha, yeh thats pretty much what a venturi is, a big pipe thats goes slightly smaller and then larger again, As the same amount of air must flow through a smaller space, it is being forced by the turbo so once all the gas is squeezed through the smaller pipe in will then flow faster out the bigger pipe, thats my understanding im probably wrong but i dont care, as i previously said a pipe through the cat will still flow better than the cat. so stop telling me that my ideas wont work, and just can someone tell me what i asked about at first yes?

thankyou!

damankerrison09

Blue 87 VL
Reaction score
Members Ride
5 Speed VL SL
Oh and expansion pipe is to create backpressue which is not good in cars...