Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Experiencing Check Powertrain warning and other problems ( ECU or EARTHS)

dos123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
For a while now i have been having problems that seem to be related to the ECU on my VZ Executive. At first every now and then the Check Powertrain warning would come on when starting the car, then every now and then it will take 2-5 turns of the key to star the engine, then sometimes i will even get a 'Fuel gauge error' and the fuel gauge will be completely off for 10 minutes. Now it has come to the stage where sometimes the car won't even start. So today i finally took it into a mechanic and he ran some tests and got a error p601 (i think) which was a memory error. He was unfamiliar with the code but he thought it could either be the battery, which needed replacing, the earths, or the ECU or BCM needing replacing. So today i bought a new battery and after installing it properly my car wouldn't turn on, not even the electronics (which usually did when it previously didn't run) so i called the RAA and after playing around for 30 minutes he fiddled with the bunch of earth wires and the car seemed to be fine after that. So my question is, have anyone else experienced any problems like this and would anyone know if this is a ECU or earth problem? the RAA guy recommended stripping the paint off the car where the earths are bolted on and checking over the connections, so i will do that and see what happens.

I just thought i would ask instead of spending $30+ for a mechanic to look at it for 4 minutes and only suggest stuff!

Last edited:

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Have you pressure cleaned your engine recently?