Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors and cats... *UPDATE Pg 6 Dyno Results

Stig

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SSV Z Series
So Naa Fan,does that mean hurricane Headers with Manta Cats will not now bolt straight on to an Xforce 3 inch Catback?

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I reckon your crazy, the Walky is one of the better sounding exhausts, I would return the extractors and get the Walky(HM) ones to suit your catback. I'm sure NAAF wouldn't mind giving you a refund in light of what happened.

And I recon your crazy... Each to their own with exhausts, the Walky one doesn't do it for me, I particularly HATE the machined tips. But others love them, so hopefully I get good money for it second hand haha.

AD07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS V 6.0
Sounds pretty ordinary to me....
You just had to pay for another cat-back when you already had one...wtf!!!
The sound of the Walkie cat back would have changed once you fitted the headers & cats & i bet you would of had no issues with it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So Naa Fan,does that mean hurricane Headers with Manta Cats will not now bolt straight on to an Xforce 3 inch Catback?

If I told you that before, then it was true, but as of yesterday I have since found out that the direct fit cats are no longer available.

But they will fit with some modification.

As Mikey said, each to their own on exhaust note. I have had people comment that they don't like the Manta note but really like the X Force....so it is entirely subjective.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Just out of interest NAAF, Hurricane supply their own 200cspi cats to match their headers and cat backs, are they any good (the cats). The other question I have been pouring over for months is the hurricane 1 3/4 header has a 2.5 inch collector but can also be supplied with a 3 inch collector, pacies for example are a 3 inch collector no matter whether you go the 1 3/4 or 1/78 primary. I was considering hurry 1 3/4, 2.5 collector, their cats and their mild 2.5 exhaust. Should i be going the 3 inch collector and different cats and cat back? Whats wrong with the hurry cats and cat back??

Its all very confusing which is why ive done nothing to my new ss after doing the brakes and suspension. HELP!!!

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Hurricane 1 7/8th with 3" collectors
3" in and 2.5" out manta cats
Twin 2.5" manta cat back

All from NAAF, do it :)

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Sounds good, thanks for the reply. I will be going the 1&3/4 primary though as i'm not doing a cam etc. have you fitted yours yet? Happy? Sound good, not too loud? Dyno??

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just out of interest NAAF, Hurricane supply their own 200cspi cats to match their headers and cat backs, are they any good (the cats). The other question I have been pouring over for months is the hurricane 1 3/4 header has a 2.5 inch collector but can also be supplied with a 3 inch collector, pacies for example are a 3 inch collector no matter whether you go the 1 3/4 or 1/78 primary. I was considering hurry 1 3/4, 2.5 collector, their cats and their mild 2.5 exhaust. Should i be going the 3 inch collector and different cats and cat back? Whats wrong with the hurry cats and cat back??

Its all very confusing which is why ive done nothing to my new ss after doing the brakes and suspension. HELP!!!

I'm not 100% on how the Hurricane gear bolts up. But I would imagine they do two different front sections, one to suit factory cats, one to suit their cats.

Manta do one centre section but also do a Y section (well actually it's two separate pipes, one for each side) that come together and join into the centre section. The Manta cats come back to the same spot. It's more of a cost saving than anything else as they just delete the Y pipe when fitting headers and cats.

Just did some searching and found pictures of the Hurricane system. Their join is in the section of pipe that bends left and right, where the Manta join is where the pipes come together and are parallel. The cat sections are a bit shorter. They do a similar concept as the Manta, but the difference being, the Hurricane has two sets of hotdogs and a merge, the Manta has an H section, this gives a more defined note than a merge. The merge also looks restrictive.

As said earlier, exhausst note is subjective, everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good. Personally, I haven't heard a better overall sounding exhaust than the Manta, different exhausts sound better/worse at different times, eg WOT or idle, but I have found the Manta to produce a consistently good note right through.

The only drama I have had with this system is the guy in my signature fitting a hotdog system to a V6 and not liking the note on deceleration. An X pipe fixed it. But that is another story.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
If you can hang off ordering for a few weeks, I'll post up a video of exactly how the 2.5" manta system (including manta cats and hurricane extractors) from NAAF sounds.

I also have a few floating around of my walky system too if you want to compare what a $2400ish Walky catback sounds like compared to the Manta catback (plus extractors and cats).

Makes me laugh that a full exhaust, from heads to tip from NAAF is cheaper than a cat back from Walky.

bartox86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey Mikey. If u could post that video that would b awesome!! Am currently looking at getting a full exhaust 2, so may grab one off NAAF depending on how it sounds!