Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors and cats... *UPDATE Pg 6 Dyno Results

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Extractors and cats... *UPDATE Pg 6 Final Video

I currently have a VE SS with a twin 2.5" Walkinshaw cat back.

I want to finish off the exhaust with extractors and cats.

Now I'm not really here to ask what ones to buy, as I've read a million threads about pacemaker and hurricane and this and that and I have a fairly good idea of what parts to buy.

What I do want to ask though is what makes some brands (or unbranded products) so cheap?

I've been quoted around $1300ish for 1 7/8 hurricane extractors with manta cats to suit. Which I think is a pretty good price for what people agree to be a good product.

But if I was to bust open the eBay, there is a few more cheaper options.

eg. $830 (extractors and cats, no brand in add) HOLDEN COMMODORE VE V8 6.0L EXTRACTORS & CATS STAINLESS STEEL BRAND NEW | eBay

eg. $1100 (extractors and cats, possibly x-force?) HOLDEN VE SS 6.0L V8 X-FORCE MILD STEEL EXTRACTORS & STAINLESS STEEL CATS | eBay

Does anyone have any idea who produces these cheaper versions? Anyone tried using them? Do they give less power? Are they a crappy fitment? I really can't find any information of people saying either good, or bad things about these cheaper options.

Any help appriciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
When it comes to any purchase in life I believe that you get what you pay for in most cases, sure you can get things on special etc. at times.

It boils down to quality of materials and workmanship.

You can buy a suit for instance from Harris Scarfe and pay around $100 or you can buy a suit from a Bespoke Tailor and pay $3000. Difference is in the fabric: cheap fabrics wrinkle when seated and don't last long whereas a cloth from the UK or Europe will not crease and last many years and still look new. Cut: a ready to wear suit is made to fit a generic size so won't always fit perfectly whereas a Bespoke suit is cut to your body shape so fits everywhere and you look sharp. Workmanship: a ready to wear suit is made on a production line with cheap threads and accessories, whereas a Bespoke one is hand sewn and basted with quality buttons and threads to last that much longer.

(No I am not a Tailor)

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I currently have a VE SS with a twin 2.5" Walkinshaw cat back.

I want to finish off the exhaust with extractors and cats.

Now I'm not really here to ask what ones to buy, as I've read a million threads about pacemaker and hurricane and this and that and I have a fairly good idea of what parts to buy.

What I do want to ask though is what makes some brands (or unbranded products) so cheap?

I've been quoted around $1300ish for 1 7/8 hurricane extractors with manta cats to suit. Which I think is a pretty good price for what people agree to be a good product.

But if I was to bust open the eBay, there is a few more cheaper options.

eg. $830 (extractors and cats, no brand in add) HOLDEN COMMODORE VE V8 6.0L EXTRACTORS & CATS STAINLESS STEEL BRAND NEW | eBay

eg. $1100 (extractors and cats, possibly x-force?) HOLDEN VE SS 6.0L V8 X-FORCE MILD STEEL EXTRACTORS & STAINLESS STEEL CATS | eBay

Does anyone have any idea who produces these cheaper versions? Anyone tried using them? Do they give less power? Are they a crappy fitment? I really can't find any information of people saying either good, or bad things about these cheaper options.

Any help appriciated, thanks.

I wouldnt touch X-Force, I reckon youd be better off with the no name brands...

Essentially, yeah you pretty much get what you pay for. Pacemaker make great tried and true headers. Not too sure where abouts in Perth you live, but my dad swears by Genie exhausts in Myaree, had one of there systems fitted up there on his VE SS while I had my sunroof fitted across the road... Can vouch it sounds good.

For cats have a look at Ballastic/Venom 200cpi's if you want to keep it legal, or 100cpi if your after flat out performance...

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I'd generally agree with most things in regard to getting what you pay for.

I'm just trying to work out how you get more by getting di filippo (for example) rather than x-force (for example) extractors.

I think it is alot different with a cat back, when mufflers and drone and other factors come into it. But extractors, they are just a mandrel bent set of pipes.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I wouldnt touch X-Force, I reckon youd be better off with the no name brands...

Is there a reason why though? Have you tried installing x-force extractors and had a bad fitment? Noticable drop in power or torque?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Is there a reason why though? Have you tried installing x-force extractors and had a bad fitment? Noticable drop in power or torque?

I havent but PM Jesterarts or Not_An_Abba_Fan on here and they can give you an opinion...

From what ive heard, **** fitment, **** quality, dont sound as good as other exhausts, just generally cheap and nasty.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I havent but PM Jesterarts or Not_An_Abba_Fan on here and they can give you an opinion...

From what ive heard, **** fitment, **** quality, dont sound as good as other exhausts, just generally cheap and nasty.

I have already spoken with Not_An_Abba_Fan in regards to some pricing, but havn't spoken about other products, only was given a quote based on what parts he recomended, and he was very helpful.

Not to be an knob as I appriciated the help regardless, but you responce is the exact reason I made this thread. Bagging the X-force product without any actual idea about how well it fits or performs. Don't get me wrong, I've personally seen how wonky some (not all) of the x-force cat backs hang, but I can't find any bad reports about their extractors?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
I have already spoken with Not_An_Abba_Fan in regards to some pricing, but havn't spoken about other products, only was given a quote based on what parts he recomended, and he was very helpful.

Not to be an knob as I appriciated the help regardless, but you responce is the exact reason I made this thread. Bagging the X-force product without any actual idea about how well it fits or performs. Don't get me wrong, I've personally seen how wonky some (not all) of the x-force cat backs hang, but I can't find any bad reports about their extractors?

I can tell you how well they sound, and compared to a manta system they sound like a fart through a wet towel...

Why not just get the walkinshaw ones and finish it off? wont void your warranty you know.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
as a mass generalisation, and not specific to anything for LS2 etc; here are my thoughts:

1. the first point to look at is header size, obviously the bigger it is the more it can flow, but that is not what you are looking for. What you want is exhaust speed (velocity) so the headers need to be the 'correct' size.
2. Also you need to look at quality. if the ports line up correctly, if it will bolt to the exhaust correctly etc.
3. Design: the old rule was 'tri-Y's' tend to be good for the street and '4into1' for drag racing. But I also have heard that LS engines are an exception to this old rule of thumb.
4. Stepped headers; as the exhaust gas gets further from the engine it cools more, so therefore it's velocity changes and your optimum exhaust header diameter changes, this is why stepped headers can be good, but obviously would take more work to build and in turn cost more when completed.
5. Header length: there are in-depth calculations for header length from the exhaust valve to the point at were each individual pipe join's to it's next versus the maximum torque point in your rpm band. If someone has gone to great length to get these numbers correct, then it is only fair that there headers cost more. (R&D cost's etc)

that is all I can think of for now, I hope this helps.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
I can tell you how well they sound, and compared to a manta system they sound like a fart through a wet towel...

But the thread is about extractors?

Why not just get the walkinshaw ones and finish it off? wont void your warranty you know.

I had 1 5/8 tri-y pacemakers on my last SS and was never happy, always wanted a set of big pipes... I personally wouldn't be happy with the Walky ones. Car is already out of warranty, so that's not an issue.