Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extractors

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting a set of extractors for my VS. Now i was going to put em on myself but i got a few questions. I found the instructions in the how to sections but i read elsewhere that the steering rack needs to be removed to get them to fit on a VS. Is this correct? If not how difficult is it going to be to get em on? I have also heard mixed opinions on putting extractors on a VS.. are they worth it?

Cheers

Edit: Oh i forgot to mention, this is on an ecotec v6 :)

Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
whack em on they always sound good and the car seems to breath better. You will more than likely have to drop the rack but you wont have to move its position and re mount it or anything. They can be a bit of a bitch, but thats mainly to do with getting the old ones off and everything out of the way.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You will have to undo the rack and pull it to the side because the RHS won't go in unless you do.

Extractors will increase your torque curve and give you better highway economy.

Different brands are different prices, but all will do pretty much the same thing. If you want performance and plan to modify the engine, then Pacemakers are one of the better ones to go for.

As a guide, I do Wildcats for $370 and Pacemakers for $460. Plus shipping.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok cool yeah I have found a set of pacemakers secondhand with the y-piece to suit that i am thinking bout buying. Any ideas how much an exhaust shop would charge to fit em as I am not really sure what I would be doing and how to move the rack and dont wanna risk stuffing anything up. Or does anyone know of a tutorial on how to do this?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
only those ones in the how-to section that you read. Its not a technical job by any means, it just requiers a bit of nouse and muscle to manouver thing about and undo the old manifolf bolts. Get yourself a set of gaskets, some new manifold bolts(or nuts if they are studs) and put the front up on some ramps and give it ago, you might suprise yourself. Worst comes to worst you slip it back together and get somone else to do it if need be. It gonna cost between 2-300 to fit easy i recon, theres atleast 2-3 hours labour @ $70-$80 an hour plus parts, that soon adds up.

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Ah ok cool, well one of my mates has a pit i can chuck my car over so i might do that tonight and have a bit of a look around see if i can figure it all out before buying anything.. Cheers guys :D

RoboticCherry-Coke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1
Is this right?

Was just talking to a mate bout all this and he tells me the engine needs to come out to move the steering rack.. is this right? Sorry if i seem to be asking a bunch of questions, just dont wanna go buying em to find that i cant fit em :p Cheers.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Was just talking to a mate bout all this and he tells me the engine needs to come out to move the steering rack.. is this right? Sorry if i seem to be asking a bunch of questions, just dont wanna go buying em to find that i cant fit em :p Cheers.

tell your mate hes an idiot

tivoom

pimpin pizza wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Wagon
Na mate not true other wise no one would do it lol