Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

extractors????

K

kaz21

Hey,
I'm just starting to learn about commodores and being a girl i dont want to get ripped off, so could someone please tell me exactly what extractors do? Can you also tell me what sort and where to get them and how much they are. I have a vx and I am getting a sports exhaust in the next couple of weeks. Do i need to get extractors at the same time?
Thanx

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Extractors are aftermarket headers, one and the same, they basically start taking the gases from your engine down to your exhausts, If you pop the hood, on both sides near the bottom, you'll see either a set of 3(V6) or 4(V8) pipes that join into one....that's the headers

You don't have to get the extractors done at the same time, it's up to you...

Price wise, it differs, depending on what brand, press or mandrel bent, if you're gonna go twin cats etc...dunno, $600+?

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
The main operation of extractors is to create a faster flow rate of exhaust gases producing a greater scavenging (or vacuuming) effect, therefore increasing performance. Most Commodore owners seem to recommend Pacemaker extractors, which can be fitted for around $500. Extractors can be fitted at a later date, but it should work out cheaper to have it done at the same time in the long run. You may also want to fit a Hi-flow cat for even more performance. My full system, which is listed in my signature cost my $990.

K

kaz21

thanks

thanks for your help guys. Can u recommend some good sites or magazines i could dheck out to learn more? What places would i go to to get extractors? I'm getting a sports exhaust but i don't know if they do extractors cause it is just an exhaust place.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Any exhaust place...I haven't heard of any exhaust place that doesn't do extractors...

This site right here is great to learn stuff from, ask away and someone will answer :D

You could check out Pacemaker they seem to be the most popular brand for commies.

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
BT1 VR is spot on with wat they do, in regards to buying them hm headers will defernatly be the best u can get. for there price pacemaker are also good value. in regards to the rest of ur system its whether u go for 2 1/4 inch pipe or 2 1/2 inch pipe. 2 and a quarter will increase power at a lower rev range where as 2 and a half will increase power from a high rev range. only get high flow cats if ur goin with 2 and a half for the basic fact that the core of them is 2 and a half inch where as the core of a vn-vr cat is 2 and a quarter. they actually flow quite well. as for exhaust u cant really go past lukey the the best and cheapest system u can probably get is pacemaker extractors with normal cat into 2 1/4 inch pipes with a lukey l2290 muffler and matching ressy that should set ya bak no more then aroudn 800 - 900 some places are cheaper and some are more expensive, the only differences in the places will be the worksman ship like the welds and the joins. fact is some are better then other. any more questions dont be afraid to post or pm me

K

kaz21

how do i know whether to get a 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 pipe? What is a cat and ressy?? I obviously have a lot to learn. :p

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
A cat is a catalytic converter, it turns really badass gasses into not so bad gasses, it fits just after the headers...
A ressy is a resonator or muffler, there's usually a couple a little after the cats and one just before the end of the exhaust...

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
well i would recommend 2 1/2 basically coz its got a deeper sound. you have to have a catalytic connverter because of emission laws and a ressy is just basically i higher flowing smalle straight threw muffler

K

kaz21

so does my car already have a catalytic converter and a ressy or will i have to get that done as well? I was reading about cold air induction systems, do u need this or is it more for when you have done other mods to the car?