Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extremely noisy lifters after cam swap (new LS7 lifters) 2008 SSV

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
I have just replaced my cam (VCM 883), lifters (Crow cams LS7), lifter trays (OEM), pushrods (7.400 – came with cam from VCM), valve springs (Dual springs), oil pump (HP Manley). And something is horribly wrong.

When the engine went back together, I started it and it sounded fine initially, but now sounds horrible. In short, there is massive lifter noise, and the top end doesn’t seem to be getting oil through the pushrods (it is almost dry, just some drops of oil).

The oil pressure is fine when measured at the sensor port at the back of the intake (45psi).

I did the work myself, but have had a mechanic now look over the car. He checked oil pressure, confirmed that sounds like the lifters have no oil. He had the rocker covers off while running the car briefly, and noted that it was dry.

I don’t understand lifter pre-load on these cars – I just bolted up the drivetrain with the pushrods from VCM, and as far as I can tell, there is no adjustment. Am I missing something?

Any ideas on what could have happened? The swap seemed pretty straightforward, but now I have this mess.

Any tips are greatly appreciated before I pull the engine. Thanks!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Did you post something earlier on FaceBook?

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
No, not me. Someone else having similar issues?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
No, not me. Someone else having similar issues?
Yes exactly, no oil through pushrods indicated no oil to lifters making a racket.
So new guides I take it, and the lifters were keyed correctly to those guides with fill holes aligned?

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
Either was my mechanic (if it was after about 2pm today), or is a funny co-incidence.

I just put the lifters into the guides (the fit snugly), lowered the lifters into the bores, torqued up the tray. I was under the impression that the direction of the holes in the lifters didn't matter (the old ones were all over the place)

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Either was my mechanic (if it was after about 2pm today), or is a funny co-incidence.

I just put the lifters into the guides (the fit snugly), lowered the lifters into the bores, torqued up the tray. I was under the impression that the direction of the holes in the lifters didn't matter (the old ones were all over the place)
No sorry you are right is only deac that need aligned.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
How much preload do you have if the pushrods are rattling around loose as a goose oil might not make it to the top if the pushrods are floating off the lifters.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Would not letting the lifters soak in oil for a while cause this? Or should they pump up shortly after anyway??

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Don' need to soak them.if the preload was wrong they can get damaged they arnt a ball and seat old style lifter they use an oil metering disc instead.we use them on buick v6 good lifter over stock and quiet but always set preload carefully