Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Extremely noisy lifters after cam swap (new LS7 lifters) 2008 SSV

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
OK, so pulled one of the rocker covers to re-check pre-load, and it was between 1 turn and 1 1/4 turns.

Unfortunately I did find bits of the valve springs broken off under the rocker covers...

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
These are the pieces of the K-Motion springs. I found these along the length of the head, so are breaking off all springs.

What could possible be causing this? The car has been run for a matter of minutes (and never driven) since the cam/etc swap.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Coil spring bind? - Pretty rare on a beehive spring though unless you've gone crazy with cam lift. If you've used high ratio rockers with an aftermarket cam with decent lift it could cause such a problem.

May be due to a manufacturing fault, but may be worth contacting the manufacturer if you can't determine any other cause.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Ouch too much lift for the springs did you do retainers and collets as well did the springs fit in the retainers properly

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
The K-motion springs are the springs that VCM gave me with the cam. I used the retainers/locks that came with the new springs. I am using stock rockers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Best bet is ring vcm in the morning and hope they warranty all the parts supplied.if it's coil bound the springs and broken them then the lifters pushrods and cam probably arnt to flash either have you pulled any pushrods to see if they are bent to ****

MrPtnt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV L98 M6
Will call them tomorrow. Any idea what could cause this? I didn't think it was possible to stuff the installation of valve springs up...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Previous owner hasn' fitted mace high ratio rockers that would probably do it I know they used to do 1.9 ratio it' a lot more lift on that can than 1.7

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Something really wrong, hopefully you get it sorted without major engine damage but sounds bad.
Cam timing correct? Pushrod correct lengthy? Lack of oil up top is odd as well maybe oil pump o ring?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
What the verdict you get in touch with them