Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's 95 VS Statesman

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by EYY, Aug 24, 2015.

1. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Hey guys! Thought I'd share a few photos and details about my daily. I've had it since 2012 and has been my daily for 3 years. The car has been in the family for over 10 years, and we knew the old owners so are aware of it's full history. Even have the original receipts/handbooks from 1995. When I got it, it was completely standard.

Model: 95 VS Statesman
    Colour: Rubens Mica
    Suspension: King lows, F+R, Monroe GT gas shocks
    Engine: Ecotec v6
    Transmission: Standard auto
    Optional extras: Sunroof
    Sound system: Fusion splits running off a big old clarion apx640.2. JVC coaxials in the rear just running off the JVC KDX50BT head unit.
    Rims: VS Grange/Senator 17"
    Body: SIII front lip, Grange/SS rear lip, Grange bobtail spoiler, SIII rear garnish/tail lights, caprice grille
    Fuel: ULP & LPG Vapor Injection
    Performance mods: Factory supercharged CAI and nothing else :p

Future work:
    -Rebuild and fit L67 engine when I get my full licence
    -Replace headlining
    -Leather interior (if I ever find a donor car with good leather) DONE
    -Make new sunroof cover
    -Foglights DONE
    -Clear indicators DONE
    -Repaint passenger rear quarter (paint is peeling) and rear bar (poorly matched paint from a previous repair). DONE

Fuel economy and comfort are my main concerns, so I certainly won't be lowering it any further or doing any more performance mods. Want to keep it 100% legal too.

IMAGES: I'll update the images one of these days as I was having trouble with image hosting

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Polished the front end last night, came up pretty well using meguires ultimate compound - iphone photos aren't ideal.
    [​IMG]

Couple of other random shots (old)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    I swear this was green..... Anyway looking clean as always.

4. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Look after her mate clean and tidy

5. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    It's just clean, you probably weren't able to see much under all the dust :p

Thanks mate, the plan is to fix up the small patches of old and damaged paint, remove the pinstripes (peeling on some panels) and possibly remove the trolley strips. Will be repainting the roof and rear doors at some stage too as they've seen better days. They're not bad, I'm just a bit picky.

6. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    So I just purchased another stato. 5L series 3 on gas. Idea is to pinch the foglights, swap the interior over and maybe sell it again. Picking it up on Wednesday so will post pics then.

7. sleepa

sleepa Shiny...

Members Ride:
    2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
    Good idea, was it optioned with electric seats? I love mine so far.

Try and get the same money back on it that you paid for it too ;)

By the way that is a very tidy Statesman you have there.

8. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Thanks sleepa. Mine doesn't have electric seats, not sure about the new one. I looked at it for about 5 minutes before I committed to buying it lol. Should easily be able to make my money back and then some since its a 5L.

I'll get it home sometime this morning.

9. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    [​IMG]

Not too sure what model the wheels are off..
    [​IMG]

bit of damage to the gearnish and rear lip:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how the best way to clean the door trims? The felt sorta stuff is a bit dirty in some places, nothing too bad though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spare is brand new and never been used!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty nice interior:
    [​IMG]

The engine, complete with backwards engine covers:
    [​IMG]

I'm quite liking the car overall, I'm half considering just keeping it and getting it registered. It's on gas already, but I'd convert it to vapor injection too to get some half decent economy and power out of it. I'll see how I feel in about 6 months.

10. sleepa

sleepa Shiny...

Members Ride:
    That's not half bad.

I'd keep it assuming it's running well. If you do keep it and can afford it, convert it to vapour injection, so much better.

As far as cleaning the door trims, best stuff I have found is from car care products called 1Z Blitz. Or if you have access to a steam cleaner you could give that a shot.

11. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    So I just pulled the battery out of the new stato and the battery tray is really badly rusted. I'll weld in a new battery tray sometime in the next few months if I get around to it.

Did a bit of searching too and found that the wheels are from a VR Senator, which is nice.

Started it again today and the air con even works much to my surprise. Starting to look more and more like a keeper.

12. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Drove the stato with Sandman to Heathcoat for the Street Machine Drag Challenge a couple of weeks ago. Was a great day and a few cars produced some surprising (to me) results. The majority of cars there were blown chevs, but there were still a few aussie v8's there too - there was even an old ford wagon sporting an LS.

Sandman's handy work:
    [​IMG]

Just clicked past 400,000km last night too :p
    I made some new transmission lines for it last week due to the old lines leaking. Also pinched the fog lights off the s3 stato. They're not wired up, and it'll probably stay that way - I just like the look of them. Surprisingly, I didn't even need to remove the bumper to fit them at all. The most difficult bit was drilling/cutting out the vents for the fog lights.

Next on the list is to replace the steering rack and tie rod ends and get a wheel alignment. Finally replaced one of the air con lines and had it regassed (again, for the third time in my ownership), so hopefully this time it'll continue working for more than 6 months.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  13. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  14. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Finally decided to fix some of the peeling clear coat on the passengers rear 1/4 panel and thought I'd share how I tackled it. I've only sprayed a handful of times, so I'm open to criticism and suggestions from others as to processes/techniques etc. :)

The panel has been resprayed at some stage and it looks like the job was given to the apprentice - the filler work wasn't even nearly straight and the 1/4 panel didn't line up properly with the door.
    [​IMG]

This is what I found from the previous repair:
    [​IMG]

There was a high spot here too, I was hoping that it would just be filler, but I had to tap the panel slightly inwards:
    [​IMG]

Started with the filler.
    [​IMG]

Looked like this after a few hours, all sanded with 220. I bought a $30 5" DA sander on ebay, and I honestly don't know how I did any body work at all without one. They're a must-have for anyone contemplating this sort of work.
    [​IMG]

Primed with 2 pack high build primer and sanded with a long block with 240.
    [​IMG]

Primed again and sanded with 400 using the block and then up to 600 which brings us to this point; almost ready for paint. I sanded the first 100mm of the rear door with 800 and from there sanded with 1500 until about half way through the door (about where it's masked to).
    [​IMG]

After cleaning with wax and grease remover a number of times and wiping with a tack rag, I sprayed the first coat of colour - spraying just past the 800 scratches in the rear door and progressing a tiny bit further with the following 2 coats.
    [​IMG]

Basecoat done.
    [​IMG]

After the first coat of clear, I sprayed the clearcoat past the basecoat on the door, into the 1500 grit scratches and then used fadeout thinner (sprayed through my gun) on the final coat to 'melt' the new paint to the old paint to assist the transition. The first coat was a medium coat so you can see a bit of orange peel, the following coats were sprayed wet.
    [​IMG]

Clear finished. I ended up spraying 3 coats using a medium hardener since it was a hot day, although at the expense of a little more dust landing in the clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up getting a bit of orange peel which i'll sand out shortly and post a few more pics of the process/finished product. Still waiting on some polishing attachments I ordered online, hopefully they turn up soon and I can finish the job :p

I had a few problems with image hosting, so it took a tad longer than it shoud've to write this post. Fingers crossed it's all good now lol

15. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I'm no spray painter but it looks like you done some good work there.

Keen to see how the blend on the door turns out.

16. sleepa

sleepa Shiny...

Members Ride:
    Nice work. I love seeing how other people do things like this.

17. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    I'm not too confident with that, but I'll try sanding and buffing it and post pics. If the panel was good I would've sanded the whole door and cleared over the whole thing. It has a few little dints along with the other 3 doors, so I'll remove them all shortly and spray them at the same time.

The front end was replaced about 10 years ago when someone reversed into it, and the paint's better than the rest of the body. So I still need to do the doors, roof and rear bumper.

Thinking about removing the trolley strips altogether, I'm still not sure about it though.

Cheers sleepa, same here.

It's certainly not easy to work out how to do things, everywhere you look someone's telling you something different. I suppose everyone has their own style :p

18. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    Managed to get a fair bit done over the past few days.

I wet sanded the whole repair area with 2000 - i wanted to try and get the orange peel to match the rest of the car, so I didn't sand it too far. Just enough :p
    [​IMG]

Then I used meguiars ultimate compound over the whole area with a firm pad on the orbital polisher (there are MUCH better products for this job, the ultimate compound isn't very abrasive so it probably took a little longer than it should have. Then I used meguiars ultimate polish with a soft pad to remove the fine swirlmarks/scratches.

From the 1/4 panel just above the rear wheel:
    [​IMG]

Put the trolley strips back on (it's pretty dirty so I'll have to take some more photos when I clean it. Can't tell where the old paint ends and the new paint starts, pretty happy with that.
    [​IMG]

Finally changed the power steering rack since it started leaking very badly. Got one from the wreckers for $50 and cleaned it up and fitted it. The variatronic steering works now, it feels like a different car. Way too effortless in carparks lol. I'll update this post soon with more pics cause my internet's being dodgy atm.

19. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Great job !

20. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    crap.... you did an awesome job man! haha