Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's 95 VS Statesman

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
After having searched for l67 heads for a while, it seems that almost all heads are cracked to some degree. N/A heads don't seem to have this problem, so sourcing good l36 heads is no problem.

I've started to make a jig so that I can drill injector holes in standard ecotec heads, turning them into supercharged heads (ecotecs have injector holes in the plenum, l67's have the holes in the heads). I'll post pics comparing the two along with my idea for a jig later on, it's a bit hard to explain without the use of pictures. It bolts to the front and rear of the head, with a piece of angle iron running along just above where the injector holes will be drilled. 3 holes will be drilled and guides welded in the correct position at the correct angle for each hole. I've done a test run with the 14mm drill bit on a scrap head, just into the surface of the head and the finish is nice and smooth, and the injector fits perfectly.

If that fails, it's probably time for a v8.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Small update. Sold the 'senator' rims that were on it and purchased some genuine HSV stamped ones with good tyres.

I ended up buying another car with an l67 in it, so decided against the l67 for the VS. So decided on the 304, with the exhaust note being the swaying factor lol

The cam, lifters and gaskets for the 304 arrived today, so will be starting on the V8 conversion in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to knock it over within two days when the time comes.

Will post pics when the engine work is happening :p

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
That color paint looks great. What cam did you get? Are you doing compression on the engine and what exhaust are you thinking of?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hopefully I'll be able to knock it over within two days when the time comes.

Lol that's what I say before every 2 week project!

Sounds good mate hopefully it's all smooth sailing. Gotta love the sound of the old 5ltr!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That color paint looks great. What cam did you get? Are you doing compression on the engine and what exhaust are you thinking of?

Thanks mate, yeah I like it too. I ended up going with the crane 268 since it's a daily driver and I want to have reasonable fuel economy, so I thought it'd be the safest bet. Another appealing thing about the 268 is that I can run the stock tune while I'm trying to get the rest of the car sorted. I'll be leaving the compression as is, but may shave a little off the heads if I ever need to take them off. Planning to fit some LT1 valve springs though down the track.

As for the exhaust, I have the stock HSV headers which will go into twin cats, twin 2.25 pipes/mufflers and twin 2.25 out to the rear (the stock vy SS mid section, with the rear section modded with a smaller resi). That's the long term plan anyway, it might just end up with the extractors and a single cat & 2.5" cat back to start with to get it on the road.

Decided not to go too crazy with a full rebuild and aggressive cam - that's what my HJ is for.

Lol that's what I say before every 2 week project!

Sounds good mate hopefully it's all smooth sailing. Gotta love the sound of the old 5ltr!

Yeah I've pulled enough 5L's out now that I think I should be able to have the engine out, tidied up on the stand with the cam fitted in one day and ready to go in the following day. In theory anyway :p

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
It'll be good to see it go together and hear what you think of it when it's up and running. Yeh which ever exhaust you end up with I'm shore you'll be happy, they're two slightly different sounds but you can't beat the assie v8 for that sound. I can't believe I waited so long to change my standard exhaust out. I love the sound of it now. You should like that cam, a little better than standard, so a little bit of extra go and if you behave shouldn't drink much if any more. I know with mine I seem to be averring about 0.5 to 1 l per 100 klms more and think I could get closer if I tried but where's the fun in that !!!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Fingers crossed the fuel economy isn't too bad lol. Shouldn't be too expensive to run on gas anyway :p

Parts ready to go :p
J93lKtl.jpg

EMn0wpQ.jpg

Pulled it all apart today, and it looks like it's only just been rebuilt! The crank has been ground, it has new pistons, welch plugs, gaskets, rollmaster timing set and it also appears to have reconditioned heads with hardened valve seats. The cam I removed looks perfect and was a dynotec cm305d which is just a stock replacement.

VNYJKEf.jpg

IAtNaDW.jpg

mVE2NhG.jpg

Removed a bearing cap to see what I was working with. Perfect:

LolaVJB.jpg

I hope to get it mostly back together tomorrow.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
need some more quality pics. tell us about the donor car. what are you thinking of doing while its all out

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
His donor car is a blue Stato like his that is now missing a 5L lol. Please tell me you're getting a new phone for your birthday, potato camera on this one has lived long enough surely :p