Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's HJ Ute

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Thanks for the kind words.

I did think about filling in the tonneau cover holes, but the previous owner had already purchased the reproduction clips along with a few other parts including lower dash panel, indicators, combination switches, door rubbers etc. since the ute will be used regularly I thought it might be a good idea to get a tonneau cover for it at some stage when I have the spare cash.

I actually bought it so that I could fix it on the cheap so I could take my dirtbikes places on my red p's (can't tow a trailer). But that turned into a bit more of a project than originally planned, but I'm happy that I didn't rush it. Been on my green p's for a little while now so I'm able to tow a trailer anyway.

I've done a fair bit of work since that last photo, and I've added a centre console, polished the rims to a mirror finish (took ages!), polished the paint to make it even shinier and painted that side mirror black haha. At some stage I would really like to put some original gts wheels on it and maybe a frot spoiler.

I've got an air con system at home for it too which I'll put in when I get motivated enough to pull the dash apart again too :) (as if the 202 wasn't slow enough already) :p

I'm sure you remember the thread where I was having a bit of trouble with the paint... Thanks to you guys I got it all sorted in the end

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Couldn't you have asked for an exception for the 253? Since they are a slug..
Add more pics!

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
The colour - is it "vixen" of the Ford BA/BF/FG range?

Looks a lot like it

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Couldn't you have asked for an exception for the 253? Since they are a slug..
Add more pics!

I thought about doing that, but I've heard of others not having any luck with getting the exemption with their 253's and decided it wasn't worth the hassle.. Should have tried though. It is on club reg after all, so that might be a swaying factor. I could always put the 253 back in considering it only takes 6 bolts in total to have the engine out if the bonnet is off. I'll put a 304 in it later on when i'm off my p's though, so i'll stick with the 6 unless it throws a rod or something catastrophic.

ill add some more pics very soon :)

As for the colour, I think it's valencia orange. The old owner told me that it was a sandman colour (cant remember which one) and from a google search it looks to be valencia orange. I looked at the vixen colour and it's a fair bit darker than the ute.

On a side note, does anybody have any opinions on blackouts for the gts flutes? If i do it, should i black out the whole of each flute, or just the bits in the middle (hard to explain what i mean). Would satin or gloss be the go here?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Definitely matte black. Gloss black would look gay. Do it with some line tape too otherwise the edges will be messy.

I do think they look ok as they are though.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
considering it only takes 6 bolts in total to have the engine out if the bonnet is off.

hmmm lets see now:

4 on the trans inspection/dust cover
6 on the bellhousing
4 on the torque converter
2 on the engine mounts
4 on the exhaust if you have OEM flanges
1 on the fuel line
4 on the fan/waterpump
4 on the radiator
2 hoseclamps on radiator
2 trans fluid lines on radiator
1 on the + to the coil
1 on the earth strap
2 on the starter (battery + and start sol)
1 on the throttle cable

i count 38 unless i have forgotten something?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
hmmm lets see now:

4 on the trans inspection/dust cover
6 on the bellhousing
4 on the torque converter
2 on the engine mounts
4 on the exhaust if you have OEM flanges
1 on the fuel line
4 on the fan/waterpump
4 on the radiator
2 hoseclamps on radiator
2 trans fluid lines on radiator
1 on the + to the coil
1 on the earth strap
2 on the starter (battery + and start sol)
1 on the throttle cable

i count 38 unless i have forgotten something?
Haha okay, that was a bit of an exaggeration, but I was just trying to make a point of how easy these things are to work on. I'll be a little more specific.

2 trans mount bolts
2 engine mount bolts
2 starter nuts
Earth strap and alt nut
2 power steering pump nuts
2 exhaust flange bolts.
4 hose clamps for radiator/heater hoses.
2 shifter linkage nuts
Undo slave cylinder line

Taking the tailshaft off might make it easier to put the other motor back in too :p

I think that's about it.

Last edited: