Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's HJ Ute

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i dont know why, but i HATE these rims:
Picture003.jpg

but i really dig these ones:
IMG_0098.jpg

you sticking with these? they look mint once you polish the absolute arsehole out of them. plus they suit the era of the car.

any further plans for the car?

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Seriously increased throttle response?
I'll agree to Ari, leave the ones it came with on.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Ari would have hated living in the 70's. Jelly beans were all the go back then - the wider the better. There was one style of them that was particularly sought after. The dish was continuous from hub to rim, without the large step half way out. They really looked the goods in the wider (widest) widths you could get easily - 7" or (wow) 8". If you could get anything wider, it was absolute cop-bait.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
you sticking with these? they look mint once you polish the absolute arsehole out of them. plus they suit the era of the car.

any further plans for the car?
I'll definitely be sticking with those for a while. Funny you should mention that, I've actually polished them now to a mirror finish and they look really good. I ended up going to a car show the other week (just to look, didn't enter), but that gave me some real inspiration to tidy it up even more and add a few more GTS bits. The old steering wheel is looking pretty sad after 40 years.

The head gasket blew for the 3rd time a couple of days ago, so i'm starting fresh with another block and much bigger cam and higher compression.
The first time it blew, it was between cylinder 6 and the pushrod hole and pumped oil through the pcv into the intake. The second time, it blew between 5 and 6. After the second time, I tried another head that I knew to be flat. Blew again between the pushrod hole and number 6 and pumped oil into the airbox and all over the right brake disk.

I'll be starting again with another block. I have a good 186 I'm tempted to use, but i'd rather a 202 if I can get one easily that doesn't need to be bored...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Okay so a bit of an update on this. I haven't driven it since I last posted in this thread, but I've decided to use the 186 and started pulling it apart a few weeks ago. Turns out the block is a 186s, which surprised me. Not that it means much though.

I've honed the cylinders and they're all pretty good and didn't have any lip. The gap is just about perfect with the new rings at both the top and bottom of the cylinders, so there is minimal taper. Pulled the crank out and replaced the rope seal too. I'm just hoping that it doesn't leak! I watched plenty of videos on how to install them and did a fair bit of reading but it still sounds like they're a bit tricky to get perfect.

I've just picked up some new pistons for it and dropped them and the rods off at a mates place for his brother to fit them for me. Also put the new cam in and given everything a good clean. I've actually decided to fuel inject this one (rather than just straight gas) since I'll need all the fuel pump and wiring organised for the 5L when I put that in sometime in the next 18 months or so.

I'll post some more pics soon, I've been a bit slack. I've probably got over 1000 pics of the car in each stage

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'll try and get some more together mate. Just gotta remember! Ari told me how to upload photos more efficiently, so I'll give his way a go. It was taking me about 5 minutes per photo to upload through photo bucket for some reason.

I got some more wiring done tonight and put new efi and lpg relays in. Will be putting the computer in tomorrow and getting the efi harness all sorted and tidied up. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the old engine out next week, I'm keen to drive this again.

I took the fuel tank and filler before I got it registered because I was running straight gas before. It went really well before, but I'm interested to see whether it runs any better with fuel injection

Last edited: