Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EYY's HJ Ute

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
T700 can be a bit tricky to setup, but mate, once they are theyre frikken amazing.

Are you talking about the kick down cable? Because I went through 2 700's pretty quick and was wondering if it was because that was set up wrong.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
383 hatch, how did you go about hooking your speedo up in your ute?

I run an inline speedo drive. It screws on the auto as per normal, has the speed sensor wires coming out of it to wire up to the ECU, then the original speedo cable screws on the end to drive the original mechanical speedo. The other way to do it is just run an electronic speedo, but there was no way I was hacking up my GTS dash to fit one. They're getting too sort after to modify. The other reason is, you wouldn't know my car had an injected motor with the bonnet shut as the rest of the car is fairly old school, that's the way I like it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I run an inline speedo drive. It screws on the auto as per normal, has the speed sensor wires coming out of it to wire up to the ECU, then the original speedo cable screws on the end to drive the original mechanical speedo. The other way to do it is just run an electronic speedo, but there was no way I was hacking up my GTS dash to fit one. They're getting too sort after to modify. The other reason is, you wouldn't know my car had an injected motor with the bonnet shut as the rest of the car is fairly old school, that's the way I like it.

Sweet! Was there enough clearance to get the cable in there without kinking it too much, or did you need an angle drive?
Did you just use the th350/400 cable?

Can you remember how much you paid for the sensor/adaptor thing?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Went straight in without touching the tunnel at all. Made to go in there. Pretty sure I just used the original cable that was in the car, but can't be 100% certain. The adaptor came as part of the EFI patch harness I used that was originally in the Torana when it had a VN V6 in it, I just modified it all to work with the 5 litre loom. Everything works as it should with no fuss.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
depending on whether you need a 2 wire or 3 wire. (ls1 uses 2 wire, dunno bout 304)

the hall effect:
Autometer Speedo Sender 7 8 18THD Hall AU5291 | eBay

i bought a dakota digital cruise control kit off summit racing for 220USD, but you can buy the sensor seperate:
Pass-through Pulse Generator

they screw into the normal GM speedo fitting. i didnt have room to run mine on the trans (it hit the x-member) so i put it behind the dash which caused extra problems, now im getting a speedo cable made 300mm long with 2 small fittings on it so i can fit the sensor in-line and everything else will fit back up.

the main problem i had was with the TV cable, but ive just realised that since its for a 304 its already setup anyway. so thats easy. just needa get a x-member and shorter shaft and youre laughing.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
the main problem i had was with the TV cable, but ive just realised that since its for a 304 its already setup anyway. so thats easy. just needa get a x-member and shorter shaft and youre laughing.

Any tips on adjusting the TV cable?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
get an oem one...

close throttle>press button
open throttle>press button

thats it lol. i had to do heaps of fking around with "1 inch down and 1/2 inch backwards" to find the right TV mounting point etc. cos my throttle doesnt have a TV fitting on it. yours will already have the OEM mount on the intake and fitting on the TB so the OEM cable just fits straight up.