Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

F150 tow rig

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Went to do my rear end bushes today only to find my jack stands aren't high enough to reach anything at ride height so had to go find some bigger ones. Never had a tall car before clearly.

I know that feeling, my Nav already had a 2" lift on it when I bought it, I needed to buy a new jack and stands to safely jack it up.

Putting 3 tonnes on blocks of wood felt a bit sketchy to me.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yep for sure, when mucking around doing bushes on the car I want it to be secure. $85 or so for some 4t jack stands that go up to 600mm high seemed not too bad to me. But another bloody thing to clutter up the shed now....

One of the tyres was really dirty when I bought it for some reason and it didn't come off with degreaser, wheel cleaner or a combination of them with a pressure washer. But watching a youtube video a couple of week back a whitewaller mentioned he used thinners to clean up tyres before painting. Tried a bit of it and came up fantastically. Still a bit dirty, but will have another go at some stage.
wZms1al.jpg

KUKyf5S.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Slowly ticking away at this, between life and melbournes crappy weather I haven't had much of a chance to work on this lately. But slowly getting there and am very close to rego time now. All the ball joints, bushes and shocks have all been done now. A PWR trans cooler has been installed with a drain plug also added to the pan of the C6 to avoid a big mess when it next needs a service. I haven't got any photos, but everyone knows what a drain plug and a trans cooler looks like anyway.

I have also replaced the headlight globes with a set of Phillips Extreme Vision +130 bulbs. Though on removal of the old bulbs found the 100w H4's had been used which had melted both connectors so had to be replaced too. Not a big deal but just another thing to do.
fEoRD8U.jpg

M36O9LG.jpg

LrVDsIE.jpg

Designed this shifter pin and got a mate to make it on the lathe out of stainless. This previously was a screw and now has significantly less slop.
BQ5vrpK.jpg

Standard airbox is back in too, the PCV breather I had to get creative with though as I couldn't find any for sale locally. So removed the old element from the housing and cut down a briggs and stratton air filter and seems to have worked alright too.
tvO2p8X.jpg

slHnBAM.jpg

TLIRAhb.jpg

niNnTGD.jpg

Also tidied up the relay situation in the engine bay too, as seen below 2 relays were mounted where the airbox needed to go. These relays didn't actually power anything so were just removed, but I did have space for them hence the extra relay holders. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than it was before. There is still one original relay mounted by itself, I have no idea what it powers, a circuit diagram for it and also was not able to remove its connectors without fear of breaking it, so it was just attached securely rather than just floating in the engine bay.

Before
N2bP1xD.jpg

After
bNOJ6y1.jpg

uYf94tl.jpg

I went to start wiring up the trailer plug today, as there was a loom which appears to just have had the plug cut off it. But after trying all the wires with the test light, nothing is getting any power, so will most likely have to remove this bit of loom and re do the take-offs from the main loom.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
what a beast

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Nice.
Duel fuel tank set up yeah?

And dont be surprised if some of the parts are still used on vehicles today when you go looking for them.
A mate has an E250 van (84ish) that turns out the windscreen is the same as a very recent model e250.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yep, factory twin tanks, about 160L or so worth. I haven't tried the rear tank yet though, since I don't think its been used in 5+ year I'm going to pull it out and clean it before I try it. Just to be safe.

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yep, factory twin tanks, about 160L or so worth. I haven't tried the rear tank yet though, since I don't think its been used in 5+ year I'm going to put it out and clean it before I try it. Just to be safe.
Good call. I've had bad luck with old tanks that have been out of use for a while. Always a leak somewhere.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
The mates E250 had an issue with the fuel tank selector (where they both feed into before going off to the engine).
So i would highly recommend you make sure that is working aswell.
Its very similar to the F-Trucks so am trying to remember all the little things he has had to change or do.

Although, driving that van, with a 460 Big Block from Melb to Adelaide on 1 tank was an experience.
Especially when the fuel reg is just set, and that setting is "MORE FUEL"

One other thing, do your brake lights become your indicators?
If towing, it confuses people haha

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah I haven't tried the rear tank, out of fear of sending crap through the fuel system. So once the rear tank has been cleaned and flushed properly I'll check that its working correctly. Any idea if you need to switch between the tanks when its running or turned off? Never owned anything with a switcher to know.

And nah this has separate indicators to brake lights. No reverse lights that I can find though.