Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fact or Myth

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
I've always been told that before i turn off my car its best to turn off the heater/air con. I was just wondering why this is the case and if it actually does make a difference......

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
The AC compressor wont engage untill the car has started anyway.
If your battery is knackered it might help with the voltage. Car needs minimum of 12volts to fire.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
everything gets turnt off before i turn the car off.

A/C, Radio, Lights.. even the power windows go up before i turn the engine off
also turn off the rear demister in the winter
Habit i guess

But i will save drain on the battery on the next start-up

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
How about running the A/C without the Fan on 1,2,3, high etc

Im pretty sure you need the fan on atleast 1 or the A/C compressor will burn out?

Jamesmaier

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Executive
ive heard because it decompresses the compressor when you turn if off before you turn the car off. and if your going to get back into your car 5 minutes later you dont want the compressor fully loaded.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
My mum always turns everything off, I pre much just jump out my car.. I have a cool feature for my headlights tho, If I turn my headlights while the ignition is on and turn the key off or w/e.. when I open the door the lights while turn off till I go to start my car again. - Yeah I start my car with my headlights on.. even Highbeam sometimes.. Its a slower start then normal but idc :p
The AC compressor would cause Load making it harder to start
I wasnt sure what caused it, but I do think after time you could blow your Engine fuse.. Maybe

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im not sure if the ECU cuts the A/C compressor off at startup.I know it shuts it off once certain revs are reached,or if a certain load is put on the engine,but not sure about startup though.I might have to check that out.I always make sure its off before I start the car anyway.Same with the headlights.
EDIT: Just went out and checked it out.The ECU cuts the compressor off anyway at startup.The compressor comes on a couple of seconds after the engine is running,so there ya go,starting the engine with the A/C on wont matter or hurt anything.