Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory Cruise has stopped working on VT equip (Series II)

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
G'Day,

I have a May 1999 VT Equip model with original factory fitted cruise control which has now stopped working after over a decade of perfect running.

I can no longer turn it on (no "Cruise" on dash) or activate it, previous to that, I could randomly get the "Cruise" to come up green on the dash and if I was lucky I could get it to activate but it would drop out after 1-3 minutes of running. The brake lights appear to work OK (they light up evenly). I've check the fuses and they appear OK, reseated the connector on the Cruise module in the engine bay but nothing else.

What should I start looking for and check (former electronics tech so I can diagnose wiring).

Any (good) ideas welcome :)

Sid

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
a) not just the light is it?
b) stalk.
c) fuses "appear" ok, have you swapped them or replaced them - or just straight out tested them.
d) relay
e) module and harness.

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
Thanks for the reply, no the cruise does not work, so the dash light itself is not the issue (I'm sure its OK)

I will check in the order you indicate which appears pretty logical, I assume by "Stalk" there are known issues with the connectors/wiring in the indicator stalk as its a heavily used item??

Sid

adam24au

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
My cruise is not working either on my VX i press the cruize button in the stalk and light comes up on the dash but when i try to lock in a speed with the stalk it wont register at all.

Would that be the relay that the problem or more stalk replacement or module?

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
being a VT ill put my money on the stalk - the tiny wires that go to the cruise switches on the end of the stalk often become detached. Its years since I touched one, but I remember fixing a friends on his VS statesman (same stalk) without having to replace anything but for the life of me cant remember whether we had to solder, or what to get it reconnected.

Remove the steering column shroud, unplug the stalk and have a looky.

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
UPDATE:
I acquired another CC unit and fitted it and the Cruise Control now works... I did replace the stalk prior to that a few months earlier when I had to replace the key barrel, but that had no effect. One free weekend I will pull it apart and do some diagnostics work on it.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Good on ya coming back and letting everyone know

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
The CC unit where's that one located, my cruise control stopped working years ago.