Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory (Dealer) wheel alignment out.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Prior to ordering my car last year my tyre guys suggested bringing it straight in for a wheel alignment because they are often out from factory.

I stupidly didn't take his advice, but asked the dealer to do an alignment pre-delivery.

17,000 k's later I have almost scrubbed out a rear tyre (fronts have heaps and other rear about 2x as much). Finally took it to my tyre guys who of course found that the rear wheel alignment was out.

Just a gripe really, and another reason not to like silly 18" wheels that Holden wouldn't change to 17's during the build.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Alignment is an iffy one hey.....

In that 17,000kms, did you happen to hit anything that could have thrown it out?

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unlikely, can't speak for wife though. We are both careful driver, I'm sure she would have told me... wouldn't she?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
99% of the time, unless you specify a "4 wheel alignment", then only the front is done.

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Unlikely, can't speak for wife though. We are both careful driver, I'm sure she would have told me... wouldn't she?

Trust me, not only do they not know they have hit something, they don't think 4x4ing in your commodore is a problem!
You wont be told.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
No hunny I didn't hit a curb, I was just parking your new commodore on the 4" box curb at 25kmh...

I would of told you if I actually hit one!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Claiming it was out at delivery after 17,000kms is a bit steep.

Wheel diameter has no affect on premature tyre wear, why you would want 17s over 18s I have no idea. Surely if you can afford a new car you can afford the minor cost difference between the two sized tyres, and ride comfort difference would be minimal if even noticeable.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Claiming it was out at delivery after 17,000kms is a bit steep.

Wheel diameter has no affect on premature tyre wear, why you would want 17s over 18s I have no idea. Surely if you can afford a new car you can afford the minor cost difference between the two sized tyres, and ride comfort difference would be minimal if even noticeable.

Well our last 2 cars have ever had uneven tyre wear and and my tyre guy is often surprised at that we get around 10,000 more k's out of tyres than most of his customers.

It has taken me 25 years to save enough for a brand new car. Good tyres for this one are expected to be near $2000 a set and last around 35 - 40,00k's. A good set of 17's would be around $1200 and last up to 45 - 50, 000 k's. We do 25,000 k's a year so the maths says over 10 years we will spend an EXTRA $5200 ($800 x4 + 1 extra set) on tyres by having the 18's (that's IF we don't scrub any out prematurely).
Why don't I want 18's, well we are driving a family car on country roads and towing the caravan 4x per year, not a racing car and 5 grand goes a long way when you have a mortgage and kids. Each to their own but 17's are a more economical choice in our circumstance.
BTW the 17" 2012 Berlina wheels are virtually indistinguishable from the 18" Calais wheels on the Equipe.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Like you said it isnt a racecar so it doesnt make financial sense to spend $300-$500 per tyre when half that price will still provide a decent tyre that will last just as long.

I spend $175 on 19" tyres that provide excellent traction in both wet and dry and great mileage as well.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Like you said it isnt a racecar so it doesnt make financial sense to spend $300-$500 per tyre when half that price will still provide a decent tyre that will last just as long.

I spend $175 on 19" tyres that provide excellent traction in both wet and dry and great mileage as well.

Thanks RiCeY, I will compare prices, but if you still have that VZ, your tyres are smaller than those for a VE. I used to pay about the same as you for my VT tyres, but larger VE tyres are generally more exxy at any size.