Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FActory Eurotrash question

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
hi is the factory fitted eurovox stereo crap or is it the speakers? i want to replace the head unit but keep the speakers will they still sound crap eventually i will change the speakers too. But funds are limited so its one thing at a time will it still sound ok with the factory speakers?? BTW its a VT exec 1999

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
the stereo isn't great. if you get a good quality new head unit, you will be disappointed in the final result if you don't also change your speakers. it will sound ok, but as soon as you start turning it up louder, the factory speakers will distort like crazy (just my guess...).

Thomo

UNLEASH THE LION WITHIN
Reaction score
Members Ride
FAMILY VT & HONDA 04 CRF250
i just put a clarion mp3 headunit a few weeks ago & the sound is alot crisper & clearer then the stanard headunit.mate changed the headunit then see how u like it.if u dont get speakers.

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
I was told by a bloke at audiocom the holden splits in the front were actually better than most.. I bought a pioneer deh-p1y head unit it it goes off.. later I bought x-plod 6x9 350kw in the back - Im not gonna change the other speakers at all..

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
I just put new speakers in the front doors and it sounds heaps better. The speakers are Pioneer TS-A1671S 220W three ways and they just screwed straight into the existing holes, only thing i had to change was the wiring connectors.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
younglion said:
hi is the factory fitted eurovox stereo crap or is it the speakers? i want to replace the head unit but keep the speakers will they still sound crap eventually i will change the speakers too. But funds are limited so its one thing at a time will it still sound ok with the factory speakers?? BTW its a VT exec 1999
The speakers are absolute crap. Replacing them will help a lot. I replaced mine with some great speakers from Jaycar for about $60 each.

younglion

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY SS Ute 5.7
will i need to disconnect the battery when i install it i heard of airbags setting off when people put theur head units in?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
younglion said:
will i need to disconnect the battery when i install it i heard of airbags setting off when people put theur head units in?
It's a;ways a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on something electrical.

Dezza

your local HSV dealer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
wats if u keep the head unit and just get the speakers running of amps ? i guess you will still need to change speakers though

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
I have a Sony Explode head unit,and a 5 channel amp.I have retained the front factory speakers and incorperated some split's into those.I also have 6,9 speakers in the parcel shelf,and 2 10's in the boot.The 10's have a dedicated channel,the factory front's and rear 6,9's are what takes up the other 4 channel's.So far with the factory front's I have been impressed with their performance and found that they don't distort (any speaker will distort,if driven hard enough) but at a tolerable volume they do behave well for factory.They do respond well to an amp and can tolerate some punishment.Of course you can get better quality,but in the mean time they will be fine.Having said all of that,you must turf the Europox.