Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory gps/hud on sv6 black edition, any good?

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
Caught between buying new sv6 blk edition and a private used vfii sv6(built early 2016, low kms, no gps/hud, owner moving overseas, very good condition). Dealer kinda pushy and reluctant to let me test drive until I commit to buy or put $500 deposit(what??!), saying only limited number available since I stick with silver. He briefly showed me the head up display on a ready-to-pick sv6 blk in the show room, looks cool but not that necessary i think? forgot to ask about the GPS tho.
So my question is, is it worthwhile to spend extra few thousand bucks on the blk edition?
Can the hud be distracting? More importantly, does the build in GPS provide speed camera alert? I don't quite like the idea to mount another screen on the dash but to me speed camera alerting is a must. Thx! o_O

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
The builtin Sat Nav does not show the speed cameras at all

Correct. If you want camera alerts, you will have to mount a portable satnav that has this facility.

The HUD is definitely worth getting. Far from being distracting, it keeps your eyes on the road when checking your speed. Once you've tried it, you won't want to go back to non-HUD.

As an aside, I'd be wary of any salesman that wouldn't let me test-drive a car without having to commit to buying it (or putting down a $500 deposit!). I'd ask to see his manager quicksmart, and walk away if the manager has the same stance.

mz2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFii Commodore SV6
Many thx!:) gonna contact other dealers this weekend!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Many thx!:) gonna contact other dealers this weekend!
I never look at the HUD. probably out of habit more than anything else.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
The HUD is brilliant. I rarely look at the analogue guages. Just the HUD and the trip computer etc between the guages.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
hmmm.... does on my Gen-F

Are you sure Smitty?
The gps tells you what the speed zone is, but not where the speed cameras are. Well that's how both my VF's have operated. I know yours is an HSV though.

As for HUD, best gadget ever introduced to the commodore. You can keep your eyes on the road and your speed at the same time. Very helpful in Victoria. It shits me driving my wife's car without it.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
The HUD is brilliant. I rarely look at the analogue guages. Just the HUD and the trip computer etc between the guages.
Agreed, HUD is a fantastic feature. I wouldn't buy a VF without it.
I don't know why this feature didn't become mainstream years ago as the technology has been out since the 80's.
I remember the Nissan Bluebird released here in 1993 had HUD.