Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

factory hodlen paint colours

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
hey all, just wondering if anyone knows where you can buy factory colours for holden? got a new tailgate on my vs and need paint and not sure if you have to go somewhere and give them a code or just buy it in a bottle already made up. anyone who has had to do this, help would be appreciated. thanks.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I know of a few Holden stealerships that sell the paint.

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm not sure about the competitors but I know as I work at an Autobarn store that they will be able to mix it up into the colour of the paint code through their tinter system. the paint can be mixed from 100ml of liquid onwards or 100ml of paint put into a pressure pack.

The system that we use is an acrylic/2pack system so if you get the paint in a liquid you can use it as either an acrylic or as a two pack depending on the thinners/clear that you want to use. either way the paint requires a clear coat otherwise it will be flat.

If you want to be able to paint just base coat some specialty paint stores keep (from memory its called a) 604 and 606 paint system that doesnt need the clear

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
haha stealerships love it. what stealerships do you know of wikky?

ok thanks man so if i get it mixed for me will it be the exact same as the car colour? its like a metallic black with bluey/purple sparkles in it when iuts in the sun ive never seen the colour except on mine and its never been resprayed so yeh

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
when you type the paint code into the computer program it gives you what tinters are in the paint and measured in a .1 of a gram incriment. so long as the person who mixes it is careful and cares about the mixing it will be an exact match to the factory colour. only problem is that the system does not allow for fading, it will be a match to what the paint was off the showroom floor.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
You need the paint code from your vin plate, BUT your paint may be faded a bit so it may not match up, you might have to get a custom paint mixed up. I'd just buy a small touch up pen from an autostore and test it in a small patch to see if it matches and then buy more.

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
oh yeh i see how it works. yeh thats not a bad idea just testing it first knowing my luck it will be ten shades darker haha. thanks heaps for the help guys.

also just a bit of a long shot question but one of you may know. i got a brand new tailgate all it needs is the paint, it comes in flat black is that already primed? cause it says flat black primer but im not sure if it would need a certain undercoat for the paint thats going on it or just paint straight onto it and just cleaning it before hand?

patrick niesler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
most of the time replacement body panels come in a sort of gloss black which is a gel coat. If the tailgate is painted with this gel coat basically just get a green scouring pad (not sure if the ones from the supermarket are the same as the ones you cant get from paint suppliers) and just rub it up until the gel coat has turned dull and paint over the top.

revinR1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
You could also maybe go to a panel beater and get them to mix up your paint. A good shop will be able to mix it to allow for the fading. Hexham Smash Repairs at Thornton are pretty good the origanal owner was very good.

slutvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Ute series II
You could also maybe go to a panel beater and get them to mix up your paint. A good shop will be able to mix it to allow for the fading. Hexham Smash Repairs at Thornton are pretty good the origanal owner was very good.

oh yeh thats not far from me do you know roughly how much it is? or how much they'd charge to spray it