Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory service manual for VR Wagon

Yellow Lemmimg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station wagon
Hi. I have a 93 Commodore with at least 93 faults.
I need a factory service manual to have a fighting chance of taming this beast.

I am mainly after the electrical section/s but if there is a downloadable version available, all the better.
I think that volume 6 of the service manuals is for the electrics. Scouring the forums has revealed interesting facts, like there are two water temperature sensors, one for the temperature gauge, and one for the Engine control unit.
Does anyone have data on the sensors ? That is the resistance of the sensors at 20, 40, 80, and 100 degrees Celsius.
Also parts numbers. How do you find out what is the correct part for your model?

Thanks for viewing.

Wayne.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attached should get you started. There is a workshop manual available if you do a search on the forum. Note that it only works on Windows 32 bit operating systems - XP, 7, 10. If you want to run it on a Windows 64 bit operating system, you need to run under an emulator (I use VirtualBox, but there are others).

Attachments

• V6 Engine Information Sensors and Signals.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 218

Yellow Lemmimg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station wagon
Thank you Black VXGTS
The information has already helped me with the description of where the air conditioning request signal comes from.

Many thanks

Wayne.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Don't really need service manual if got fault codes...google or forum search will usually tell what fault is & how to fix it most times.

Not exactly 2 sensors one is (CTS) Coolant Temp Sensor for ecu other is temp sender unit for dash gauge for driver to view.

Sensors like CTS or 02 sensors better to just replace if unknown history or old.

I use Bebco Auto Parts down here...knows good brands to use & will tell if need certain part or not as most issues are common faults easy to diagnose.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Hi. I have a 93 Commodore with at least 93 faults.
I need a factory service manual to have a fighting chance of taming this beast.

Thanks for viewing.

Wayne.

I have the factory VR service manuals.... all 15 of them printed versions from the 90s!
plus separate A3 size one for the electrics

get one on CD!

Yellow Lemmimg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station wagon
Hello Smitty
I can't find a member's services section.
Can you tell me where the manuals on C.D. can be bought, and how much?
Thanks
Wayne.
B.T.W.
fixed one fault, ninety-two to go.

Reactions: Lex

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check out posts #13 and #14 in the link below and use the download link described in the post.

Yellow Lemmimg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station wagon
An update.
Thanks for the lead to the "Factory Service Manuals."
I managed to download the file, then tackled how to view them.
I found that my old work laptop was running windows XP, 32 bit, service pack II. For some reason, I had to re-activate Windows XP.

After a phone call to a computer generated voice at Microsoft, I was given a 42 digit code to make the operating system work again.

There is a great deal of information there, but it takes a lot of time to trawl through it all.
The search function is good, but the program, or viewer lacks good zoom and navigation functions.

Now, I just have to track down the wiring diagrams , the ones that show the connectors and wire colours.

Thanks to all.

Wayne.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't understand your zoom and navigation issues. After you downloaded the files, did you run the setup.exe program?

The workshop manual installs in a directory called c:\VSCD and you execute it by setting up a shortcut on the desktop something like shown below:

1625136637627.png

Yellow Lemmimg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Station wagon
Another update.

Hi Folks. I am still working on 1993 Car of the Year.
I still need to get my hands on a comprehensive Wiring manual for this car.

I have tried reading through many hundreds of e-bay listings. Not much luck there, some manuals are listed at a price exceeding the Market Value, of the car.

There has been so much work done to this car before I got it, that there are only remnants of the original wiring. I need to know wire colours, plugs designations and pin numbers, locations, and most of all, decent sized diagrams, or scans that can be blown up and be readable.

Now for the update.
  • I have replaced the non-working aftermarket radio with a, working aftermarket radio. I would happily fit the correct radio if I could find one.
  • I had the car to my mechanic to have some things done to pass its roadworthy. Brake pads, handbrake adjusted, intermittent brake lamp replaced, gas cylindrical inspection, and a faulty gas control module replaced.

Other things of concern.

I need to investigate the signal for the “Auto Lights Off” control. It is not working. Perhaps it is not happening, or the headlamps relay control has been changed ?

Cooling fans. I need to investigate the low-speed control.
Probably as above. Need to consult the manual. I have two fans in parallel switched by an external thematic switch. The fans will run with the key switched off and out of the switch.

When I eventually retire, I will have plenty to occupy me.

Whenever I look at the broken mess that is the relay block, I think of the words of, Obi-Wan Kenobi,
“These are not the Droids (relays) you are looking for”

Live long and prosper.

Wayne.