Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory Tint

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Anyone ever had problems with Factory tint going bad before??

Jumped in the car tonight and put the window down and after a close look
the top of the driver window is starting to have the metallic weave break down.

Im not sure if the previous owner had it put on after they got the car or if they had it
optioned on as an extra, but what ever the tint is....its bad...I dont know who Holden use
The film itself isnt peeling......the finish is coming off like the back of a CD.

Looks like im heading down to the Tint Professor on the weekend to have it looked at. Get em to
take the whole lot off from all windows and have the car redone in a darker tint.:yeah:

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
well im not sure if there is an actual tint from factory i always thought it was aftermarket. but yea i could be wrong with holdens since i dont work for a holden dealership.

id save ya money before taking it to tint people to redo all windows, its not cheap to remove it because of what they have to do, apparently it has to be heated off and window cleaned, something like that from what i heard

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Back window needs to be heat gunned off the window so you dont ruin the demisters, and the side windows
needs to be scraped off and washed down.

Got my last car done by Tint Professor, only cost $265......couldnt be too much to remove. Ill give em a call
tomorrow me thinks, and ill post up how much. Id rather have it redone anyway, from what I can see the driver
window is only going to get worse, its getting worn off just by running a finger across the window, which ends
up with the nice small metallic particles all over the place......

I do believe that it would be an after market partner they would use for the tint.....but who ever they used for
this one 4 years back, hasnt lasted long at all.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
most places charge only $50 extra to remove tint....not a big spend

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
Well went down and saw them tonight about getting the tint ripped off all the windows and having it re done in a darker shade.

$265 for the whole car, 35% down the sides 20% on the back.

Just to give people the idea of how bad this tint is on my car at the moment, I tried to see if I could take the rear quater window
tint off and it comes off with ease, no blade was needed to peel it off, and there isnt much glue residue left behind either. So i tried
the rest of the windows and they are all the same, but ive left it all alone for now till the day I have it re done. Rather leave it on and
let them take it off, prep the windows on the day and put some decent quality film back on. I dont want to damage any of my rear demisters.

You were right Deano, to remove and prepare the windows, then retint the car......4 hrs worth of work $325, so $60 for them to remove it.

Not too bad at all.

T

tourist

Just had my vz (2 years old) tinted today with darkest "legal" tint.
After reading comments on here I hope it turns out ok.
Advised not to open windows for 48 hours so tint can dry.
When I picked it up this afternoon back windscreen was fogged up due to condensation from installation of tint....was told it was normal and may be like that for up to 3 weeks.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yes I will be getting mine done in the next couple of months, I think these days tinting is pretty good, just ask around who is the local place to go to.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
some tints places are a joke from reading the above by tourist.

i got mine done and i could wind the windows up as soon as i picked it up.
also there was no fogging up etc.
best tints job i have seen and for only $250 cash

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
I didnt think there was such a thing as 'Factory tint'...
The dealer get some one to tint the car.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah factory tint is the closest tint shop next to the dealer once the car comes from factory.
same with sunroofs, etc