Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Falcon 500

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'd leave it as is.....It doesn't matter this is a Commodore forum, nor does it matter I'm not a big fan of Fords, but I'd have it up my driveway in a heart beat.

About the only things you could look at is the rocker covers and gilmer drive, BUT chrome was a big hit back in the 70's, 80's and 90's and the gilmer drive is better than the old V-belt, so leaving it as is would be the best thing

ar5boosted

Reaction score
Website
www.ar5boosted
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Here ya go:

yellow_gts_3850069482023184215.jpg

appearance fixed.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Well, I dunno what you want to do to make it more like a car of the 70's because it sure looks to me like the 70's cars I remember.

Nice unit.

I'd like to give it a '70 aftermarket look.

It currently has GT springs on the rear which gives it the traditional OEM lower in the rear stance, so I'll start by having them reset to raise the ride height to be equal to or just a bit higher than the front.

I'll swap out the current rims for a set of American Racing deep dish jellybean polished alloys with 10 inch wide on the rear fitted with 275 or 285 rubber.

I have a brand new set of yellow Lakewood traction bars still in the box that have been sitting in my shed for 15 years or so which I think would look good on it. I need to think that through a bit as I currently have a set of factory tramp rods fitted and may have to remove them first.

It's the little things that were done to personalise cars back in the day that I'm looking to do.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Ha ha i had a XY van drum brakes were scary as was the 3 on the tree getting stuck between first and second.

Luckily is has discs on the front and it stops and handles OK plus you quickly learn to adjust your driving style to suit and give yourself that extra little bit of time you need to make up for the slower reaction time.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A mates old HQ used to do that back in the day.

Seventies Holdens also had a habit of halving the selectors in their 4 speeds as well, to much aggression when changing would quickly lead to sloppy shifters.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'd leave it as is.....It doesn't matter this is a Commodore forum, nor does it matter I'm not a big fan of Fords, but I'd have it up my driveway in a heart beat.

About the only things you could look at is the rocker covers and gilmer drive, BUT chrome was a big hit back in the 70's, 80's and 90's and the gilmer drive is better than the old V-belt, so leaving it as is would be the best thing

I'll keep the engine bay much the same as it is, I have a million spare parts for the car and will swap out the chrome radiator fan guard for a black one I have and the chrome shock mounts for black as well.

I've never been a big fan of gilmer drives as they are very noisy and you can here it coming from a mile away and it was one of those look at me things I did at the time but I have a few spare belts so until they run out I'll be keeping it.

I like the rocker covers, they're alloy not chrome that I keep highly polished and they look good in the flesh. I can always let them dull out to give a tougher look as it only takes 6 months or so for the shine to start to disappear.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Even though your car isnt the real deal, it looks the part and only real GT fans would know it isn't.

From my recollection, GT's were usually left alone visually. All the work went on under the bonnet. Your idea of fitting tramp rods and adjusting the rear end ride height sounds ok but that would be where I would stop. Some 70's mods made no sense, mechanically or stylistically. Others bordered on downright dumb. (I know because I was guilty of trying them). Even the Mags are period correct.

And under bonnet glitter was de rigeur, the more the merrier.