Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Falken FK452 vs Yokohama V103 ?

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4
My current tyres (Maxxis MA-Z1) are nearly approaching its end of life. For replacements, I am looking at the Yoko V103's and the FK452's. The MA-Z1 just lacked that bit of performance - scary in the wet and not good for track days. The tire size would be 245/35/19. I'm after performance in dry and wet. Occasional track day @ Wakefield Park. Appreciate if you guys can help provide some guidance on tyres. Or is there another tyre that is reasonable priced and performs well?
Thanks.

greggy85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6 M6
I quite like Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin's (RE-001). haven't had any experience with yoko's or Falkens so cant really comment, but the Adrenalin's are bloody good tyre's... Prob not much help but thats my 2cents :)

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
With tyres, the question is always how much do you want to spend?

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4
With tyres, the question is always how much do you want to spend?

Well - I got quoted $300 a pop for the FK452s and $400 for the Yoko V103. I'm not looking to spend more than $450 per corner.

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4
I quite like Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin's (RE-001). haven't had any experience with yoko's or Falkens so cant really comment, but the Adrenalin's are bloody good tyre's... Prob not much help but thats my 2cents :)

Yeah.. A mate of mine has the RE001s on his Evo 9, and he curses them like hell. His main complaint is lack of feedback and its too squirmy. When they get really hot (track days), they apparently feel like Marshmallows.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah.. A mate of mine has the RE001s on his Evo 9, and he curses them like hell. His main complaint is lack of feedback and its too squirmy. When they get really hot (track days), they apparently feel like Marshmallows.

While they are a performance street tyre, at the end of the day they're still a street tyre, so it's no surprise they'd get that way.

If you're looking for something that's good on the roads in wet + dry anything in that class should be fine. $450 will get you some pretty decent rubber.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI

Thats because its a soft compound tyre!
If he's going to be doing track work, he's better off getting a tyre specific to that kind of application:thumbsup:

mgrb1211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS L76 A4
Thats because its a soft compound tyre!
If he's going to be doing track work, he's better off getting a tyre specific to that kind of application:thumbsup:

I've done some research on the RE001s and a lot of people say the same thing. It's because of its soft sidewalls. Soft compound tyres do not necessarily feel like marshmallows during hard cornering. Soft compound tyres are meant to feel sticky and wear quickly, like the Yokohama Advan Sports.

I've done more research and it seems like the tyre to get are the Sumitomo HTRZ III's. They ranked 1st in Tire rack's 2007 max performance tyre test. It's come out on top of Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position, Conti CSC3, and Yoko Advan Sports. All of which are top performing tyres.

Link:
A New Name Challenges the Max Performance Summer Category

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I have yoko advan sports at the moment but they are wearing pretty quick and thats only from street use.
I've always liked the sumo'somehow never bought them but that may change shortly.