Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

False Fuel Gauge Reading

Cambart1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss ute
Hey guys I've done a search on here about this but couldn't find anything of real use. In my vz ss my fuel gauge doesn't go all the way full when tank is full and tells me it is bone dry but when I fill up it takes like 50l. I've replaced the sender/pump but still having the problem. Holden says they can re calibrate the gauge but will take 2 hrs and cost $150, don't want to spend that money if it doesn't do anything. Anyone had the gauge calibrated? And does it work?

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Do you have the car manual, it has a procedure in there to do it yourself. Could be worth a try if it saves you $150.
If you don't have a manual I could write it up later on.

Cambart1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss ute
Tried that one for vt vx but didn't work. I've got the manual but couldn't see anything in there about fuel calibration. Any idea what section it's under?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Holden says they can re calibrate the gauge but will take 2 hrs and cost $150, don't want to spend that money if it doesn't do anything.
When your gauge shows you have 1/2 tank when you enter the menu through mode/set before turning the key to ign, and scroll thru what value does it show ?, should show you litres remaining etc. Write it down for your record to show them eg what it reads at full,3/4,1/2,1/4 and empty, (why empty ) because you stated you could only fit 50lt in.
By the way Holden recalibrated my VY ute fuel gauge via OBD port using their Tech 11,as well as uploaded latest software in relation to fuel gauge, took all of 15mins and I was with them in the car the whole time, its bloody amazing what can be optioned to become active, total cost $20
2hrs sounds about right though, unless you know the boys behind the service desk, then it becomes abit more flexible eg; When your car comes out from being serviced, they,ll wander out to where its parked and meet you there and plug and play.
But as they told me its amazing how many people have a problem and the first thing the customer wants is a price on a new sender, when all it needs is recalibrating and the latest software uploaded,if you purchased the sender off a Holden dealer go back to them and ask if you come back when its quiet can they pop out and plug the Tech11 in and see if the new sender is o.k or if its the gauge that needs recalibrating,,, just trying to help ya out CAM, and save ya a few bucks mate,
Cheers CONROD

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Tried that one for vt vx but didn't work. I've got the manual but couldn't see anything in there about fuel calibration. Any idea what section it's under?

Its in chapter one, bottom of 1-35 there's also something about it on 1-34 under Fuel Calibration. Hopefully that might work for you.

Cambart1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss ute
The only thing in those pages were about the aircon and demister. It's a ute not sure if manual Is different. And thanks conrod ill have a chat to holden again and see what they this time.

Cambart1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss ute
Pbax could u please right up what it says under fuel calibration so I could try that. Cheers

Mk2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais S2
Its in chapter one, bottom of 1-35 there's also something about it on 1-34 under Fuel Calibration. Hopefully that might work for you.
Thanks for posting this information up. I've been having this problem lately and when I find my manual I will go have a look. I should clarify that mine's a VXII so hopefully it has the same information in mine.