Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

False Fuel Gauge Reading

xtremebase

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE E3 Clubsport
Extra pic

Attachments

• 20171021_114253.jpg
    20171021_114253.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 20171021_114253.jpg
    20171021_114253.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 303

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Nice thread, thanks for sharing your problem and findings. I’m sus about the low readings in my VZ wagon, it seems to drop pretty quick after I get the low level warning, and the very low level warning comes up not long after.

I have replaced the cluster with a Calais model, and I programmed the fuel table so I know it’s set to match the car. I’ve also swapped clusters at various fuel levels and they are pretty much spot on with each other, so I’m satisfied there’s no issue there. I’ll get the multimeter out next chance I get and check the wiring out.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Good write-up, I just wish I could understand the technical side of so I could fix the gauge in my Crewman.

xtremebase

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VE E3 Clubsport
Nice thread, thanks for sharing your problem and findings. I’m sus about the low readings in my VZ wagon, it seems to drop pretty quick after I get the low level warning, and the very low level warning comes up not long after.

I have replaced the cluster with a Calais model, and I programmed the fuel table so I know it’s set to match the car. I’ve also swapped clusters at various fuel levels and they are pretty much spot on with each other, so I’m satisfied there’s no issue there. I’ll get the multimeter out next chance I get and check the wiring out.
Thanks.Your wiring harness colours might not be the same as my VE but ohms is ohms and you will be able to fault find that way.Good luck.

Waughy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Mini Clubman
Thanks.Your wiring harness colours might not be the same as my VE but ohms is ohms and you will be able to fault find that way.Good luck.

Didn't realise yours is a VE, but you're right, ohms is ohms, just need to know what wires I'm checking to be sure I'm getting ground where I should be, and not where I shouldn't.