Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

False start/stuck starter

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Im guessing key reader, the metal ring around your ignition switch. Does the immobiliser light stay on when the car cuts out? sometimes if the ignition barrel is worn the little metal transmitter on the key doesnt make contact.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Remotes? Your car battery is going flat while you're driving, classic failed alternator symptom.

The clicking starter is just a thing it does when the battery is close to flat but has enough power to use accessories or get the starter solenoid to push out but not actually do anything. If you've got a multimeter put it on the battery terminals while the car is running, if it's any less than 13v it's the alternator.

You may be right, hopefully we will find out, but I wonder if the op is actually having 2 problems.
One being car battery (click click) and the other being remote battery (false start)
Im guessing key reader, the metal ring around your ignition switch. Does the immobiliser light stay on when the car cuts out? sometimes if the ignition barrel is worn the little metal transmitter on the key doesnt make contact.
I have a new ignition barrel in my car two weeks old, and still had the false start problem until I put in a new remote battery.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
the other being remote battery (false start)

Possible but I kinda doubt it. If you give the car battery time to 'recover' (i.e. time at the shops) it will gain charge and the ability to start and then run flat after you get going, if it was just false start because of a key the new car battery wouldn't have gone flat. Remote was true for you because you specifically said it was fixed by locking and unlocking the car and started straight away, OP hasn't said that lock/unlock specifically fixes the issue but a car battery did.

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Alternator has been checked all good. Changed the starter motor the other day. Remotes have had new batteries 6months ago.
Did swap high beam relay with start relay still did it. Then swapped the engine control relay with the high beam relay and hasn't done it since.. (YET)
I'm sceptical it was that that has fixed it..

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Just done it again.
Start then stall. Stuck on twice. Then started fine..
I can put up with it. Be nice not to have to.
May have to bite the bullet and go to an auto electrician.

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Done my plugs today.
#6 plug and ignition coil had s little bit of corrosion.
Could this be the starting problem.
Maybe the coil is on it's way out???..

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Done my plugs today.
#6 plug and ignition coil had s little bit of corrosion.
Could this be the starting problem.
Maybe the coil is on it's way out???..

If you are referring to the false start problem, here is a copy and paste from another post I made last friday, and since then, no false starts.

My post in VZ key failure.

Just a follow on from this.
I have just pulled apart a remote and fitted a new battery to it.
Remote came apart very easy, possibly it has been apart before.
I levered the tabs under the battery with a tiny screw driver to break them off the battery.
I then placed the battery in the end of my jaw vice and using the same screw driver, tapped it with a hammer to break the tabs off the outer side of the battery.
I then fitted a new battery by simply bending the tabs down and pushing the battery in place.
I did not solder it, simply pushed it into place.
The remote is working perfectly but of course, time will tell if the battery moves or stops connecting.
I will use this remote for the next week and follow up then.

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Update. Was the remote.
Remote 1 I replaced battery but one screw was threaded resulting in it not being secured. So put internals of remote one into remote two tightened and then super glued the bottom together.
Problem solved thanks guys..