Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

False start/stuck starter

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Hey guys.
Had trouble starting my 06 vz was clicking to no power at all. Got new battery, seemed to fix it for a week or so.
Then started clicking and getting stuck on or will start first go then just stall.
Changed the starter today. Seemed fine .
Then started doing the same thing mainly start then stall or starter sticking on. So my original starter must have been fine

Done some quick research.
What should I be looking at ignition module??

Thanks for any help

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I recently had a similar problem.
And I had this same problem a few years ago, and a new remote fixed the problem.

Car would start then stop, so I would lock the car with remote, unlock, and the car would start and run.
I changed remotes to a spare remote I have and car is starting and running no trouble now.

I am going back to the other remote tomorrow, so will see what happens then.

FWIW my car battery is a month off 5 years old so I am seriously considering a new one before months end.

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Sweet. I'll try second key. Then change out relay.
Atleast I have a brand new starter plus a spare lol

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
OK, started the car with older remote/key this morning and it started twice without issue.
However, I drove a short drive to the shops and when I came out, the car started then stopped, so,

I am of no doubt it is a remote battery issue.

I also have a spare starter on the shelf which has been there for at least 4 years since last time I had this similar remote problem.

lx9

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Tried second remote. Same issue.
Changed relay same issue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try hitting the starter with a hammer first, then crank.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey guys.
Had trouble starting my 06 vz was clicking to no power at all. Got new battery, seemed to fix it for a week or so.
Then started clicking and getting stuck on or will start first go then just stall.
Changed the starter today. Seemed fine .
Then started doing the same thing mainly start then stall or starter sticking on. So my original starter must have been fine

Done some quick research.
What should I be looking at ignition module??

Thanks for any help

When you fitted the new battery to the car, did you clean inside the clamps on the battery leads ?????
If not, then do it.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Remotes? Your car battery is going flat while you're driving, classic failed alternator symptom.

The clicking starter is just a thing it does when the battery is close to flat but has enough power to use accessories or get the starter solenoid to push out but not actually do anything. If you've got a multimeter put it on the battery terminals while the car is running, if it's any less than 13v it's the alternator.

Last edited: