Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan blower motor squeaky

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

On the VB the fan motor is making a horrid racket, which causes me to think that the bearings in the motor are rooted. I have a spare 2nd hand unit, which is great for I cannot find any units anywhere online. Now.....in replacing it i need to take out the heating unit, which means taking out half the dashboard. I have an original factory workshop manual that has great pics etc. in it, and I have the next 2 weeks off uni so time isn't an issue...but...how hard is it to do this job? Is it worth giving to an auto sparky to do? I have the money for it, but am interested in saving $$$ doing it myself.

Any thoughts?

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Pulling a dash out isnt a hard job biggest problem is idiots putting them backtogether putting the wrong screws in the wrong spots or jaming it back together and breaking plastic.

When you pull it appart draw a map of where the screws come out of and screw them into the card board, this will also give you an order of putting it back together.

never done a VB one but done my VK many times a couple of hours to be completely have it back tot he firewall and a little longer to have it back in.

Or you could drop your fan motor out and have a look to see why its making a noise, either leaves and crap have built up, if the bearings are dry just grease them, or sometimes the plastic can warp andyou can heat it up and bend it back or trim a little off.

Scott

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Are Vbs completely different to VKs? i can get my blower motor out in about 5 minutes without pulling anything off except the plastic cover on the passenger side.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
well....after going through the manual again and after remembering I already have a 40,000km service to do on the VX next week I have elected to send it to the local holden garage. They knew the enormity of it, they said they'd need it for more than a day (which meant that i'd probably take me 3 days...). Until then the fan will be switched off to avoid a fire; this morning it smelt like it was burning....

FWIW I plugged in the newer unit, it seems to work fine....

I think it really is a bearing/bushes thing, purely from the squeaking. Does not matter for the blower to come out, the heater and dashs till need to come out for me to have a look...